Paige Parker-2 seam vs 4 seam rise and drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 28, 2016
Hey all! In the WCWS, commentators keep discussing Paige Parkers ability to throw a 2 and 4 seam rise, and a 2 and 4 seam drop. I'd love to talk more about this and gain some insight. What are the main differences? What are the advantages of both? When to throw which? How do you throw each? I'm super curious!!

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Ignore what the announcers say. Especially those who were in the booth that game. They were phenomenal players, but most of what they say is to hear themselves talk.

A two seam drop. That will mean less drop. Isn't the whole idea of a drop ball to drop? A drop all that doesn't drop, is a fastball.
Same goes for a rise.

Edit to add...

Page's rise ball is one of the very few that has riseball rotation and not bullet spin. This is why she is so effective with it.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yeah I've seen allot of bullet spin riseballs being replayed. In fact most of the ones shown are bullet spin.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I would suggest playing around with various cues, grips, seams and find what works best for each pitcher. Spin and speed might be good for one feel, but control stinks... Another feel might give you spiral spin, but is fast and easy to place. I'd suggest playing with both. Use the easy-to-control in games until she can control something with good spin. I like the bent-finger and this one:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rOquCOoTuro[/video]

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Wow... Just watched Michele Smith's description of the difference between the 2 and 4 seam drop thrown by Parker. Both were 4 seam...

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not sure what Michelle is smoking up there in the booth. She has become the Harry Carrie of softball...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8Cs5O0PEnYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207