Rise Ball - 2 or 4 seam grip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2013
My daughter is about to start learning how to throw a rise ball. She is a scientific player and researches everything. During her research she noticed that Michelle Smith prefers the 2 seam and other pitchers she likes prefer the 4 seam. She asked me was there any difference or advantage to throwing either grip.

Can anyone give their experiences or thoughts on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 7, 2011
I am pretty sure DD throws the 4-seam for more "bite".

I will get with her tonight and give ya more if she reveals any of her secrets. ;-)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Regardless of the grip putting 4 seams to the air will provide more movement. Is MS using a pure 2 seam grip and putting 2 seams to the air or is it possible that she is using a 2 seam hybrid grip that results in 4 seams to the air? I have taught the riseball to quite a few pitchers and very few used the exact same grip. Your DD will need to find the right grip through trial and error until she finds the one that works best for her.

Oct 9, 2013
Here are rise ball links that she found from Smith.
On ESPN
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BaTLzSip45M

Showing a Rise Ball Drill
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BaTLzSip45M

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Bill Hillhouse posted the following back on November 27, 2010:

“While I fully support throwing 4 seams any time possible for more break, the other reason is for deception. It's much more difficult to see the direction of the ball's rotation when using 4 seams as opposed to 2. Two seams is a much "looser" rotation. Personally I don't even think it's debatable about which moves more 2 seams or 4 seams, but I do know of some people (Redhawk being one) who disagree. But consider that if a hitter does not have a pitcher "picked" to know what pitch is coming ahead of time, the next thing they are trying for to hit the ball is to see the rotation out of the pitcher's hand. 2 seams is much easier to see than 4.”

In teaching the riseball, I just found it easier to start with the 2-seam rotation.

Here (again) is my pitcher "K" throwing her riseball using the 2-seam rotation. Yeah, she's got some mechanical issues (disconnection at the hips between torso and lower half), but I think she's well on her way. I'm thinking I might want to switch her to a 4-seam rotation.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have seen this grip before. I think what you will find is that when she shows the grip when her wrist is loaded it looks like she would be putting 2 seams to the air. However, when she releases and unloads her wrist she will probably end up with 4 seams to the air.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Whatever feels the most comfortable. Play around and try several feels, grips releases, etc and go with whatever feels/works best.

Dec 7, 2011
I am pretty sure DD throws the 4-seam for more "bite".

I will get with her tonight and give ya more if she reveals any of her secrets. ;-)

Ya - 4-seam

DD did start out with a 2-seam rise, when her hand was smaller. But she says the further spread of the 4-seam grip gives the final spin-flick more meaning.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I teach a 4 seam, because I believe in the theory that the more seams cutting into the wind stream will produce more movement. However, there are some people who can make a valid argument that two seams are better... all I know is, when I throw one I get a much better "climb" with 4 seams than 2.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In my practice with pitcher "K" just last night, we focused on three things.... (1) her leap, (2) keeping her torso connected to her lower half (i.e., remaining more vertical, and (3) using both a 2-seam and 4-seam riseball rotation. She, typically a 2-seam riseball thrower, had no trouble at all switching to the 4-seam. I told her she could mix the two as she preferred to give her rise ball a different look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish