Over-Training vs. Proper Rest

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I am pretty happy with where my kid is at, I hope you are too. My kid turns 18 in three months and is making several official visits to D1's over the next month, one of which she will be attending next fall. She has experienced everything I talked about, and amazingly still has an arm. Humpty I may be an idiot, but I raised a pretty good pitcher and a damn good kid. What level is your kid pitching at, just out of curiosty?
Sluggers- you are quite the expert aren't you. Usually I don't argue with people on this site, because everyone here is such an expert there is obviously no other way to do things than the way you do. You know what they say arguing with fools is foolish. But I am in the mood so her I go.

"All I can say about ThatDad's post is that it is packed full of misinformation."
Really...did you read the post? I stated its MY OPINION. Based on what Ive actually seen in real life, not what some expert tells me on a message board.

"A 12YOA kid taking "ibuprofen like candy" is normal? 12YOA kids should *NOT* be regularly taking pain meds. If she requires pain meds to pitch, she has serious problems."
Ok, I may have been exaggerating a little here, but she has always carried a bottle of ibuprofen in her bag since she was 11 or twelve. She routinely is sore after two or three straight games and often takes ibuprofen. I know, I know, your kid is so mechanically perfect that she never needs an ibuprofen or aspirin. I forgot what an expert you are. Or maybe she has just never pitched three straight games.

"Again, totally wrong. Over-pitching can result in damage to the arm--specifically the long head of the bicep tendon"
Again...sluggers read my post! Never did I argue damage cant be done to the arm. My argument is YOU have no clue how much work it takes for damage to begin, and then become serious with any INDIVIDUAL. So anything you say is noting but a generalization, and I think the same of generalizations about the same I think of assumptions. You get what I am saying here?

"Again, where do you get this stuff? Most kids throw 3 to 5 times a week, generally for 60 to 90 minutes a session. Pitching a game counts toward the 3 to 5 times a week.
Generally, a kid should not pitch more than two games a day, and should take the Friday before and the Monday after a tournament off if she has thrown four or five games over the Saturday and Sunday."

Again...where do you get your stuff? This is nothing more than generalizations, refer to above statement to get a clue what I think of this drivel. Lets see 3x week for 60minutes equals 180 minutes a week, 5x week for 90minutes equals 450minutes that's quite a bit of difference. Let me ask, which one do you think will be the better pitcher. Oh..wait I forgot. Your kid will be the better pitcher. Because you know it all and the rest of us are just muddling through like fools huh?

"And parents are there to protect the child from hurting herself. There are many, many things a kid can do to become a better pitcher which do not involve pitching."

Finally something more than meaningless generalities, I am almost surprised coming from you. The whole gist of my post was exactly this. It is the Parents responsibility to take care of their OWN kids. Not some near do well that THINKS they know what's best for someone else's kid.
Well...unless you know everything like Sluggers seems to THINK he does. Then I guess you can puff up your chest and go around telling everyone how foolish they are.
SouthPawCoach, I am in no way attacking or belittling you. I simply wanted to give the other side of the story, I think you got it? Unlike some others obviously. But then again I must just not be smart enough, so maybe you should listen to sluggers he knows it all. Just ask him!

May 31, 2012
Funny how every dad that has a kid have some success in high school all of sudden is an expert on everything softball. Thatdad what if someone follows your routine and blows their kids arm up. Are you still the expert?

Mar 28, 2013
Instead of letting this thread devolve into personal attacks there have been some interesting and Valid points Raised on both sides.If your DD just pitched two outstanding Games, Is telling you that she feels fine, the next game is the Championship game and your #2 is guaranteed to get shelled what do you do in the heat of the moment. Your team fought all weekend to get the hardware and your DDs begging you to start and you believe her when she says she is good to go. Do you give her some ibuprophen (for recovery only not to hide pain, that is a no starter IMO) and give her that shot at the glory she worked so hard for or do you sit her. Those judgment calls with no clear answer have always been the hardest for me. we have gone either way. Are we talking sore muscle or joint issue do we let them go or force them to sit. wish it was all more cut and dry.

May 31, 2012
Is hardware that important? Why risk the injury? Why do you think MLB pitchers have limits?There's not a lot of money to be made playing softball. OP was about a 12yo.
Pinata that scenario comes up every weekend. You might win the 4$ trophy but there's chance she's gonna have to go see the doc if you do it too many times

Feb 7, 2013
ThatDad - I'm glad your DDs pitching routine has worked out well for her so far in her softball career. I would however caution that overuse is a reality for both softball and baseball pitchers. My DD's pitching instructor had a great high school and travel ball "career" and got recruited by a second tier D1 school. She pitched her freshman year and by the time she was a sophomore she had two surgeries on her shoulder and she was done. She attributes the injuries to overuse in travel ball where she would frequently pitch 5 games in one day. This is only one example, but a cautionary tale that these young ladies need their arms for the rest of their lives and anything we can do right now to reduce the risk of future injury should be explored.

In general, 12U girls should not have to take pain medication (same with ice) on a regular basis because of pitching. That right there should be a warning flag to all parents. I have tried to be cautious with my own DD where she only pitches every other day for approximately 30- 40mins to give her body time to recover on the off days. Just my .02

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My kid visited lots of D1 schools as...well Ohio State, Illinois, Purdue, Missouri, Texas Tech to name a few. You see she actually *WAS* a full scholarship, All-Conference D1 pitcher. She is currently a teacher in Chicagoland and coaches softball. So, I'm real happy where she is as well.

As far as pitching games in a row...oh yes, my DD pitched seven games straight one day. She won all seven...lost the first game of the elimination tournament on Saturday and then won the whole thing through the losers bracket on Sunday. It is all ancient history. No one cares but me, her and her sister DD#3. (They are still competing. I hope it doesn't turn into a "who can produce the most grandkids" contest.)

Anyway...you said that it was perfectly OK for a 12YOA to be "taking ibuprofen like candy". That sentence qualifies as probably the stupidest thing I've ever read. Considering I've been on the Internet for more than 20 years, that is quite an accomplishment. (Just as an aside, the adult thing to do is to say simply, "Geez, that *was* stupid. Sorry." I've had to eat crow several times.)

Where do I get my stuff: The American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine Here is the link: Stop Sports Injuries Softball Guidelines Girls 12 YOA and under should pitch no more than 2 days in a row, and the OP was talking about a 12YOA girl. Girls 15 and over pitch no more than 3 days in a row. They also have pitch count guidelines.

Did my DD over-pitch according to these guidelines? Yes. Did she "take ibuprofen like candy"? In college, yes. Did she injure her arm? Yes, she did. Does her arm still hurt 10 years later? Yes.

Other articles about softball pitching injuries:

Analysis Of Windmill Pitching Shows Risk Of Injury To Biceps In Softball Players

Biomechanics of Windmill Softball Pitching With Implications About Injury Mechanisms at the Shoulder and Elbow - JOSPT – Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy

University of Arkansas Survey of Softball Pitching Articles

There is so much misinformation about pitching injuries. Two years ago, Michelle Smith was babbling about how "the softball pitching motion is so natural and no one gets hurt for over-pitching"...and that was after all the studies identifying injuries to softball pitchers.

Last edited:
To surmise...very few of you seemed to get the point as I was making. THE KIDS PARENTS KNOW WHATS BEST FOR THIER KID, AND IF THEY DONT ITS NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS.
None of you have a clue what kind of routine I work with my kid, or what kind of routine I would recommend for another pitcher. Which I wouldn't do if I wasn't asked. And if asked, the routine would be based on that kid as an individual, the time of year, and her goals, among other things. And where exactly did any of you get the idea that I said riding a kid into the ground is ok? But even I have never heard of seven games in a day, and would never have allowed MY OWN kid to do that. Now Sluggers kid, she has perfect mechanics so he can do whatever he wants with HIS KID. Are you getting my point yet?
That's a rhetorical question for you humpty, I know you never will. Be sure and chime in, in about 6-7 years I cant wait to hear your pitching experience goes.

ThatDad - I'm glad your DDs pitching routine has worked out well for her so far in her softball career. I would however caution that overuse is a reality for both softball and baseball pitchers. My DD's pitching instructor had a great high school and travel ball "career" and got recruited by a second tier D1 school. She pitched her freshman year and by the time she was a sophomore she had two surgeries on her shoulder and she was done. She attributes the injuries to overuse in travel ball where she would frequently pitch 5 games in one day. This is only one example, but a cautionary tale that these young ladies need their arms for the rest of their lives and anything we can do right now to reduce the risk of future injury should be explored.

In general, 12U girls should not have to take pain medication (same with ice) on a regular basis because of pitching. That right there should be a warning flag to all parents. I have tried to be cautious with my own DD where she only pitches every other day for approximately 30- 40mins to give her body time to recover on the off days. Just my .02

Thanks for the advice Rockettech1, but as I mentioned you missed my point. I'm glad your routine works with your daughter, and would never think of telling you your an idiot, because of that. I feel like my routine worked pretty well too, and while she has had the standard overuse injuries over the years. She is in pretty good shape for the amount of pitches she has thrown, as we see an orthopedic friend of mine on occasion whether she is hurting or not. I don't need to go read a bunch of studies as I already have, I also l know the realities of big time softball. If you think that makes me idiot...well then I guess ignorance is bliss! Hahahahaa

Feb 22, 2013
My opinion though is parents generally know their kids better than an outsider that has no real clue what that particular kid needs. Also being sore and taking ibuprofen like candy seems pretty normal to me especially in-season.

Did my DD over-pitch according to these guidelines? Yes. Did she "take ibuprofen like candy"? In college, yes.

These two quotes reminded me of the firing of the University of Washington Head Softball Coach, Teresa Wilson, several years ago. The volunteer doctor for the Huskies softball team was nicknamed "The Candy Man" and "Dr. Feelgood".

I enjoyed the article with regards to the risk of injury to the bicep for the windmill softball pitcher. My dad pitched fastpitch softball for 40+ years and never lifted weights a day in his life. His pitching bicep was huge in comparison to his non pitching bicep.

My dd pitched more than the "Stop Sports Injuries in Softball Guidelines". If she had followed those guidelines, she more than likely wouldn't have achieved the accuracy that she did at such a young age. She wouldn't have been the #1 or #2 pitcher on her various teams. She may have dropped out at 16 like the majority of her friends that didn't get to play the positions that they wanted to.

Every girl is different. I am happy that my 17 year old lets me sit on my bucket and catch her. Everytime I open my mouth when she is pitching, she says "Dad, you have the most annoying voice in the whole world and give me a minute dad, you're ticking me off."

I try not to talk to her when she is pitching. But I'm not a perfect bucket dad.

Mar 28, 2013
Been to a Teresa Wilson pitching clinic when my dds were younger. My guess she was medicating bad mechanics and not over pitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd