Outfielders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
There are more balls that could be turned into outs hit to infielders than outfielders though. Probably more balls, period, even at higher levels.

Outfield play is important. It's all important. It's just less important, and while a bad outfielder can absolutely cost you a game and we all can come up with scenarios where it has happened, it's less likely because an outfielder has fewer opportunities to screw everything up.

Well said. It's all important.

But the reason parents and kids (at lower levels) gripe about playing the outfield is really the tens of thousands of data points that tell us that infield is more important. Coaches know the best fielders have to play infield (at lower levels) to have chances to win games. Dozens of balls get hit to the infield each game, a handful to the outfield. While we try to convince ourselves and the parents how important outfield is (at lower levels), we all know it's not as important.

Dec 11, 2010
At younger ages if coaches are not practicing and playing athletic kids in both infield and outfield regularly they are failing as coaches. And if you don’t think you can win games with kids playing middle infield and outfield both, at 10’s and 12’s, you aren’t a very good coach and/or you are not practicing well. Of course there are kids that can’t do this but most of the time coaches are just making excuses by saying they can’t win that way.

DD’s Second year 12’s team won ninety-some games with good athletes sprinkled up the middle. The team blew up for a lot of reasons but one big one was that some parents didn’t want their middle infield and pitcher dd’s playing outfield. That attitude did not work out for them a few short years later when their kids were hs freshmen.

Looking back, do you know how many people care that we won that many games at 14u? Almost no one, including the parents and players. The only thing that matters today in 2018 is that some of the players and parents that got a variety of playing experience had more opportunities later.

My dd has not played outfield since that team, partly because she pretty much played 16’s from then on, most of that on a team that isn’t able to have team practice. Playing outfield made her a better infielder and I am thankful for it. I really wish she could have continued to play outfield too but it did not work out and that is to her detriment. It is one regret I have in her development as a player.

I wish parents and coaches would figure out how much it is a blessing to play both if your daughter is suitable for both.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
At younger age levels, many kids can't get the ball out of the infield, so having your best defensive players there makes sense. At older age groups, if most balls are hit to the OF, you're probably in trouble, but if you short-change the outfield, you'll lose most of the time.

While good pitching generates mostly infield grounders and pop-ups even at older age groups, the consequence of success or failure is magnified every time a ball gets past the infield. Miss a ball in the infield, and you've given up a single. Miss ANY ball in the outfield, and it's at least a double. Miss the back-up on an errant infield throw, and at least one run scores a few seconds later.

The ability to grab that deep foul ball, turn a line-drive into an out, or even take away a HR is the game changer. DD has had games in the infield with double-digit put-outs and assists, but it's the diving and running over-the-shoulder catches with the game on the line that burn into the memory.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Players not getting the ball out of the infield in 10’s was not my experience. And we were just a local travel team, not some regional powerhouse.

On sites like this everyone’s perspective is really different. I forget this sometimes. Hitting is what our region is good at, pitching not so much.

Strike2, when I read your post I think “playmaker” vs. “infielder or outfielder”. I think that sometimes comes from quality reps in practice and experience in different positions. Hope that makes sense.

Oct 4, 2018
Speaking from 10U experience only, we have about 10 balls hit to infield and 2-3 to outfield. So if player A will field them well, player A goes to a position where more balls are hit. If the 3 hits to outfield are bobbled, zero to one more run will score than if they're not (these are grounders, not pop flies). If that same 100% of hits to the infield are bobbled, that would be 3-5 runs. It's pretty simple stuff, just playing the odds. A coach that didn't put solid players in the positions where balls are hit isn't coaching to win. And that's fine if they're developing players, rotating positions, etc.

Also, we have pretty slow pitchers. So balls get pulled often. Means we need a solid 3B. Our 3B gets more balls hit to her in one game than every other position combined (usually).

Bottom line is it varies for each team, each game, each age group. I fully agree on developing players and having everyone know how to play each position and getting time there in practice, friendlies and tournaments. But it's also wise to know the stats and patterns and coach accordingly.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Strike2, when I read your post I think “playmaker” vs. “infielder or outfielder”. I think that sometimes comes from quality reps in practice and experience in different positions. Hope that makes sense.

Love play makers. Our DD was asked by her future HS coach what position she plays. Answer "Where ever the coach tells me". And it's said with sincerity. We've raised our DS and DD to play where needed....you're playing vs sitting center bench. HS Coach circled back with here and asked where do you LIKE to play. Answer "Pitcher/1B/OF" Our DD has gotten a lot of opportunities by willing to go where a coach needs someone vs other girls we know who think they only play certain positions.

Aug 12, 2014
I coached a 10U rec team this fall and I assumed all the girls preferred the IF. Halfway through the season, one of the girls finally told me that she really prefers the outfield. I've never had a player at that age say they'd rather play the OF.

Oct 4, 2018
I coached a 10U rec team this fall and I assumed all the girls preferred the IF. Halfway through the season, one of the girls finally told me that she really prefers the outfield. I've never had a player at that age say they'd rather play the OF.

Talking to them can be tough.

"Do you like outfield?" "Sure"
"Do you like infield?" "Sure"
"Do you want to pitch?" "Sure"
"Do you want to catch?" "Oh hell no."

:D

Apr 26, 2015
OP here...so to clarify... I don't want anyone to think I think OF is MORE important than IF. What I'm trying to get at is that it takes skill to play the OF. Different skills than it takes to play IF for sure. I am just tired of listening to people (and this is mostly 2nd yr 14s and 16s I'm talking about) complaining about being stuck in the OF, or dumped in the OF, or yada, yada. I hear it all.the.time. DD is a lefty so there are not a lot of positions that she "can" play. (Now ya know - me looking thru my rose colored glasses - thinks she could play anywhere. She is one of the most athletic kids on the field with one of the best gloves out there...but...I digress). Until recently she was just too short to play 1st - now she's grown a bit, but her team has 3 girls who play some good 1B.

DD used to be primarily a catcher (and I know that is a whole other discussion - lefty catchers...). She decided to change teams last year and they offered her CF rather than C. She was absolutely fine making the switch. She knew the field from a catchers perspective and got to see it from another view point. She loved being able to rob people of home runs, chase down hard hit balls, make diving catches...she loved playing OF. This year she will be catching again because the coach let the old poison (er um catcher) go. DD misses the OF. Although she is excited to catch again. However, she absolutely HATES having a runner run the bases for her! She is actually hoping to split her time 50/50 between OF and catching. I get that getting your hands on the ball more is more exciting. I just don't like hearing how the outfield is punishment anymore. At 10's maybe...but not now. Now at 14s, 16s, and 18s you have to have good athletes out there or you are going to get beat.

I know...beating a dead horse...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06