Outfield Throws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Throwing drills

Julie here are some throwing drills that might be helpful especially with younger kids. Some of my photos are bad because they are recovered off of an erased hard-drive. In the very first series of photos below you can see Amanda beginning the throwing process, L-elbow, loaded back leg, feet lined up with target, glove hand elbow at target (this was a live catch on a ground ball). The next photos are the swimming drill.

1) The Swimming Drill (best done with softer balls)
a. kids are paired up and on their knees about 12-15 feet apart.
b. a ball is placed next to the hip on the throwing side.
c. the kids make a swimming motion with the arms and when directed, or after a certain number of revolutions
d. the ball is picked up and in a continuous motion thrown to their partner.

swimming drill.jpg

2) SBFAMILY's drill. Don't forget to hit his "Thanks" button!

3) The Knee Drill
a. kids are paired up about 20-30 feet apart
a. players get down on throwing-side knee
b. the player throws to a partner finishing across their body and extended leg.
(The first photo here shows a low and bad elbow position for comparison. The last shows a good follow-through. Her front foot is at 45 degrees for some reason; pitcher!)

knee toss.jpg

4) Crow-hop Drill
a. bats are laid out as displayed
b. a ball is placed between the bats as shown
c. the fielder bends down and picks up the ball
d. then immediately steps across first with the right leg (RH fielder) into a crow hop
(The last photo shows Amanda doing the crow-hop after actual fly ball)

crow-hop drill.jpg

Advanced Crow-hop Drills:

1) (Tell the kids to "peddle the bicycle")
a. You can use the outfield foul line or a swimming pool noodle as a barrier. The players are lined up behind the barrier left foot forward, and leap over the barrier with the right foot first, then step with the left foot.
b. After efficiency, add the throwing motion
c. Give the players a ball to throw to the coach or partner when they complete the steps.

2) (Accuracy in tosses is important here)
a. Have the players line up behind the foul-line or noodle, left foot forward.
b. Toss a ball up about 4-5 feet and have them catch the ball, then step into the crow-hop across the foul-line or noodle
c. Have them stand behind the line and step up to the line, catching the ball on their left foot, then crow-hop across the foul-line or noodle.

3) Increase the high and distance of the tosses. Until they can time their feet.

4) Hit fly balls and ground balls to them and initiate the throws, fielding the ball on the appropriate foot, which is the left foot for right-handed players.

This last set is called an "Inside-Pivot" by the shortstop. I am putting it here just so you can see how fundamental the crow-hop is to infielders and outfielders as well as throws for most of the youngest players on every ball thrown.

Inside pivot sm.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
This is exactly the type of feedback and corrections that I needed! Thank you!

In my quest to fix the dino-arm throws from my team, i'm looking at changing our teams' throwing routine. Currently we do wrist flips, scarecrow throws, and normal throws. I'd love to hear what other teams are doing and why.

Thanks for the ideas.

Julie

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Julie, any photos etc. here you can copy and use. Nothing is copyrighted as they are my photos and illustrations.

This first photo is just to show the normal throwing grip, especially for kids, and the vertical direction of spin. This is same for throwing a standard fastball in pitching.

The second set of illustrations is of correct and wrong spins. The "Wrong" spin will create elbow problems. I found it useful in the case of kids with big enough hands to use a riseball grip and have them throw it overhand during warm up. The different feel allowed them to create "conscious competence", or awareness, in correcting the problem.

Fastball Grip.jpg

Spin copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32