Outfield - reacting to ball off the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
You do it the old fashioned way. You physically show them. What I do with young ones is to put them in CF. I would stand behind them and grab a handful of jersey. I would have someone hit the ball to one side or the other. ( I cheated and pointed which direction I wanted it) I would break on the ball dragging the player with me. After a few times of being pulled around the outfield by the back of their jersey they figure out when, how hard, where to and how fast to get there. After a short time the girls were breaking harder then me and I couldn't keep up with them. After they are running at the ball you let go of jersey and let go after it on their own. My OF always got a good jump on the ball.

I dunno, dude. In this day and age you're asking fer trouble.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
You do it the old fashioned way. You physically show them. What I do with young ones is to put them in CF. I would stand behind them and grab a handful of jersey. I would have someone hit the ball to one side or the other. ( I cheated and pointed which direction I wanted it) I would break on the ball dragging the player with me. After a few times of being pulled around the outfield by the back of their jersey they figure out when, how hard, where to and how fast to get there. After a short time the girls were breaking harder then me and I couldn't keep up with them. After they are running at the ball you let go of jersey and let go after it on their own. My OF always got a good jump on the ball.

I see what your saying.... I have the luxury of being able to try stuff like that with my DD. The best one I did is when I was teaching my oldest boy to run hard to first base for T-ball. I would have him stand in sprinters position at home plate, then I'd say go...I would run behind him kicking him in the get along. I give him a pretty good one that would take him about 3' past first. He never forgot to run thru the base. I told DD about it...never had to use it on her, because I told her the story. We went to one of his Men's softball games, to video it. DD wanted to see the one I got of him running to first... He is really fast, but he has a really funny take off. She watched it over and over laughing... I said whats so funny, she said He acts like someone is going to kick him in the but... LOL

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Another good idea is to relay the called location of the pitch to the OF. Mostly inside/outside. SS relays to CF/LF, 2b to RF. Gives them a tad bit of advantage.

Usually something simple at 11-12, SS/2b put their hand behind their back 2 fingers inside 4 fingers outside.

Oct 19, 2009
Another good idea is to relay the called location of the pitch to the OF. Mostly inside/outside. SS relays to CF/LF, 2b to RF. Gives them a tad bit of advantage.

Usually something simple at 11-12, SS/2b put their hand behind their back 2 fingers inside 4 fingers outside.
We are doing that now. I guess the real challenge is keeping those OFers in the moment

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When you hit them fly balls in practice do you hit them at them, or do you force them to move for the ball. So many coaches I see hit the ball right at the girls.

I started out with softball in hand and then had my girls run a route, like in football. Once they got moving, I would lead them. get them in the habit of catching the ball in the air while running. I would teach them drop steps and also how to adjust to a ball in flight if you went to far one direction or the other. Then I would start hitting them balls to one side or the other, but I let them know which direction it was going. I would tell them to watch how the ball and bat look when the ball is going left or right of them. Eventually I would just put them out there and hit the ball to left and or right without telling them where it was going.

Oct 19, 2009
Also hit them fly balls right-handed and left-handed so they get used to judging how the ball comes off the bat with a different spin.

OK this gives me an idea I'm going to try on Sunday. I'm a lefty and AC is a righty. Will report back next week.

Oct 19, 2009
When you hit them fly balls in practice do you hit them at them, or do you force them to move for the ball. So many coaches I see hit the ball right at the girls.

I started out with softball in hand and then had my girls run a route, like in football. Once they got moving, I would lead them. get them in the habit of catching the ball in the air while running. I would teach them drop steps and also how to adjust to a ball in flight if you went to far one direction or the other. Then I would start hitting them balls to one side or the other, but I let them know which direction it was going. I would tell them to watch how the ball and bat look when the ball is going left or right of them. Eventually I would just put them out there and hit the ball to left and or right without telling them where it was going.

Oh yes we do what I call Quarterback throws, we do OF competition, we do Gappers (set one kid at a cone in CF, the other at a cone in RF or LF and then I hit balls right between them. They have to make the play while communicating with each other). Problem with all these drills is that the kids know a ball is about to be hit to them so of course they are ready.

And don't get me wrong, it's not like our OF is awful. But there are weak spots and the two biggest problems I see are kids get caught not being ready when the ball is hit their way (not reacting off the bat) and two not knowing what to do once they get the ball. Frustrating I still have kids with the mindset that OF is a demotion so I know they are out there not giving 100% but can bust their butt to catch or play SS. But that's a whole other issue.

I know we have to fix it though as we are a team of mostly 11s playing an aggressive 12u A schedule. Lots of balls getting hit out there!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Oh yes we do what I call Quarterback throws, we do OF competition, we do Gappers (set one kid at a cone in CF, the other at a cone in RF or LF and then I hit balls right between them. They have to make the play while communicating with each other). Problem with all these drills is that the kids know a ball is about to be hit to them so of course they are ready.

And don't get me wrong, it's not like our OF is awful. But there are weak spots and the two biggest problems I see are kids get caught not being ready when the ball is hit their way (not reacting off the bat) and two not knowing what to do once they get the ball. Frustrating I still have kids with the mindset that OF is a demotion so I know they are out there not giving 100% but can bust their butt to catch or play SS. But that's a whole other issue.

I know we have to fix it though as we are a team of mostly 11s playing an aggressive 12u A schedule. Lots of balls getting hit out there!

They must be getting around on your pitcher. Recruit fielders @ tryouts. But until the next one:

I would line them all up and have the pitcher lead them threw her style & motion, at half speed.... teaching all... her style and motion. If they learn the basics of pitching they sync with the pitcher, and even keep the count. They should even be watching for the catchers signal, and getting it from an AC for fielders or the SS's stance. If it don't work fast enough for fielding, might help you out in the hitting department. Pitching is a lifelong study for hitters. Its constantly changing...There will be several trying out the Crop this year.

Here is an example of the pregame talk. OK girls this is going to be an easy game... the pitcher stretches, swims, serpent toes, and says hello with the elbow.... Hope this gives you some idea's.... Put them all in the game Coach... lol

Warning: When they see that the pitcher can't hit the signals, and has less than good mechanics, and they are getting famous in the field, they might want to start.... wanting to pitch again. :{))

PS... I think my first answer was the best so far.... JMHO

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1