Outfield - reacting to ball off the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Looking for suggestions on Outfield drills I can do with my 11-12 year old players to get them to better react to a ball off the bat. I played a lot of outfield and often I can remember starting to react as the pitch was coming in before contact. Need help teaching that!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
A scouting report of the hitters, and a heads up signal for the probability of it coming there way from SS. Like most everything else, being in sync with pitcher... have them watch for when her arm circle comes on the downward swing...2:00 oclock. Just like running bases, ready to explode @ 2:00, frontwards, or backwards. Have them react to every pitch...frontwards or backwards every other time. Like the best re-bounders in BB...it seems like the best just happen to be in the right place @ the right time...

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
IMO it is the hardest thing for girls to do period. Lots and lots of practice off the bat.....and it still takes years.

There are lots of footwork drills, they are good, but don't help when you guess wrong.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I try to work with the outfielders on this aspect during live BP. See where the pitch location is and how the batter is swinging the bat to get a "jump" on the ball. There is a difference between LF vs CF vs RF in the look of the ball coming off the bat, the spin of the ball, ect. It amuses me when coaches put a starting RF player, into playing LF and expects the same results.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
A scouting report of the hitters, and a heads up signal for the probability of it coming there way from SS. Like most everything else, being in sync with pitcher... have them watch for when her arm circle comes on the downward swing...2:00 oclock. Just like running bases, ready to explode @ 2:00, frontwards, or backwards. Have them react to every pitch...frontwards or backwards every other time. Like the best re-bounders in BB...it seems like the best just happen to be in the right place @ the right time...

Soooo PC you would have them explode forwards on one pitch, then backwards on the next pitch?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Soooo PC you would have them explode forwards on one pitch, then backwards on the next pitch?

Explode is the word that syncs them to the pitcher.... she explodes off the rubber. When she was 8, we called it crawling with pitcher. She does 4 Corners and the karokoe too...I have Her doing it since she was 9, and practice all fielders drills since she was 8...just for tryouts... Why?

Here is mine doing a little "come get it ...go get it" to warm up at a light practice...last month.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
You do it the old fashioned way. You physically show them. What I do with young ones is to put them in CF. I would stand behind them and grab a handful of jersey. I would have someone hit the ball to one side or the other. ( I cheated and pointed which direction I wanted it) I would break on the ball dragging the player with me. After a few times of being pulled around the outfield by the back of their jersey they figure out when, how hard, where to and how fast to get there. After a short time the girls were breaking harder then me and I couldn't keep up with them. After they are running at the ball you let go of jersey and let go after it on their own. My OF always got a good jump on the ball.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Also hit them fly balls right-handed and left-handed so they get used to judging how the ball comes off the bat with a different spin.

Oct 19, 2009
You do it the old fashioned way. You physically show them. What I do with young ones is to put them in CF. I would stand behind them and grab a handful of jersey. I would have someone hit the ball to one side or the other. ( I cheated and pointed which direction I wanted it) I would break on the ball dragging the player with me. After a few times of being pulled around the outfield by the back of their jersey they figure out when, how hard, where to and how fast to get there. After a short time the girls were breaking harder then me and I couldn't keep up with them. After they are running at the ball you let go of jersey and let go after it on their own. My OF always got a good jump on the ball.

Yea got to admit I'm not real comfortable with that idea. But it is something I haven't tried!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12