Opinions on Tanner pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ken

I agree, you need to learn how to throw underhand before trying to pitch. Their mom doesn’t understand the process. She was to quick to get them to throw strikes last year,

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Feel free to invite me up. I’ll be glad to chat with mom, coach and kids about what it takes to maximize potential. If they want strikes without regard to their future potential, please don’t push the issue. Let them go, then work with those who want to grow.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Feel free to invite me up. I’ll be glad to chat with mom, coach and kids about what it takes to maximize potential. If they want strikes without regard to their future potential, please don’t push the issue. Let them go and work with those who want to grow.

Their mom was their team coach last year. It was a first year team with all the kids coming from rec ball. She was to concerned with wanting them to throw strikes for the new team. Obviously that had a poor effect on their mechanics. Their mom will listen and I can't count how many times a gave them praise on a pitch that was way out of the strike zone.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ken,

Taylor and Tanner were her pitchers last year. She was to quick with their development, wanting/needing pitchers that could throw strikes. I tried to warn her about learning to pitch vs learning how to throw underhand first (it was their first year pitching).

Shawn

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Both T and T need to learn how to throw/whip before trying to pitch. Posture is your foundation. Posture, posture posture... Learn to relax the lower arm, provide a stable platform to whip against, then add effort, lower body contribution and distance while maintaining successful reps.

Do you know John Gay, he taught me. Your statement here is how I understand it as well. We will have to get together, right now they need to clean out their shop to pitch in. The batting cages are behind the HS and have no heat. So it will have to be one of those 2 places. Maybe we can set something up next week?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Do you know John Gay, he taught me. Your statement here is how I understand it as well. We will have to get together, right now they need to clean out their shop to pitch in. The batting cages are behind the HS and have no heat. So it will have to be one of those 2 places. Maybe we can set something up next week?

I’m very familiar with John’s teaching and regret every moment missed with him before he passed. So much lost. His website alone had a wealth of info and has since shut down. He asked me if I’d take on his business and at the time, I didn’t feel worthy. Deeply regret not taking him up on his offer.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are free next week. After that, Thursday and Fridays can be options.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Ken,

I like her posture and body alignment, the major issue seems to be arm action.
Shawn,

Those issues that you mentioned are fine. But you must make the IR a priority. I suggest it should be your only priority, It is the foundation. Trust me I have done this with 8-11 year olds at least 2 dozen times. The IR is your priority. Here is a 9 year old I worked with 2 times for 30 minutes. The focus was IR.

IR Demo.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn,

Those issues that you mentioned are fine. But you must make the IR a priority. I suggest it should be your only priority, It is the foundation. Trust me I have done this with 8-11 year olds at least 2 dozen times. The IR is your priority. Here is a 9 year old I worked with 2 times for 30 minutes. The focus was IR.

View attachment 15711

Yes, I plan on working on IR. Thanks.

Oct 4, 2018
They look like they want to work at it. It really doesn't take that long if they'll work at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13