Opinions on Tanner pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I have to address the back foot (stride foot) being to far back, can't do that in a game. And I think the foot work plays into the hips not getting far enough in-front of the back foot (knee) as she opens up. To crack the whip the lowerbody has to get out front first.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
giphy.gif
Absolutely must have the ball skyward down the backside. It is a must to properly throw underhand using internal rotation of the forearm. This is a no compromise must. I would suggest using the IR progression outlined by Boardmember in the IR Sticky thread. I have taught it to many girls this age. It is the foundation.

Apr 12, 2015
One really simply thing to help fix the throwing arm is to put in the glove whirl motion with the glove arm. The body likes symmetry and mirroring the action with the glove arm that you want in the throwing arm will help the brain correct itself.

Of note is not just the glove movement, but the adduction of the glove side elbow into the body.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Shawn, much like Ihowser said, start with or revisit BM's IR thread as this is missing completely with Tanner. The other girl is closer to it but still a miss.

IMO, I would take everything out of "pitching" and teach them to "throw" underhand. In other words, don't worry about legs, stride, foot positioning, etc. Just teach them to get proper IR which as mentioned earlier is the foundation.

The other girl in the other post does an okay job but she does IR too early in my opinion which turns into a pushing motion at the end. I have seen many girls with the ball to the sky at 9 oclock and I agree with it completely but I have also seen them IR too early and miss all the brush assisted whip. I would be happy to get into further details but the biggest thing I think you could focus on is keeping the back of the palm inbetween the ball and the leg into brush contact.

Back in the day some of the terms were keep hand inside ball, throw the pinky, etc.

Below are some pics that I hope helps:

back of palm IR Garcia.jpgBack of palm IR Amanda.jpgBack of palm IR SP.jpg

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn, much like Ihowser said, start with or revisit BM's IR thread as this is missing completely with Tanner. The other girl is closer to it but still a miss.

IMO, I would take everything out of "pitching" and teach them to "throw" underhand. In other words, don't worry about legs, stride, foot positioning, etc. Just teach them to get proper IR which as mentioned earlier is the foundation.

The other girl in the other post does an okay job but she does IR too early in my opinion which turns into a pushing motion at the end. I have seen many girls with the ball to the sky at 9 oclock and I agree with it completely but I have also seen them IR too early and miss all the brush assisted whip. I would be happy to get into further details but the biggest thing I think you could focus on is keeping the back of the palm inbetween the ball and the leg into brush contact.

Back in the day some of the terms were keep hand inside ball, throw the pinky, etc.

Below are some pics that I hope helps:

View attachment 15680View attachment 15681View attachment 15682
So the pinky should lead right up to release?

Nov 25, 2012
USA
one way to look at it. Pics I shared are all part of videos on Youtube. Watch them in slow mo.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
So the pinky should lead right up to release?

It’s definitely part of the thought process I try to use - “ lead with the pinky”. It encourages the “pull” rather a “push”. The hand will usually turn naturally and get behind the ball at release, aided in part by brush interference (see Scarborough and Ueno videos where the arm “wraps” around the hip right before release).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee