Opinions on Tanner pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
So the pinky should lead right up to release?
But wait...there's more! Just leading with the pinky can lead to a screwball release with no IR!
Try this:
1. lead with the pinky
2. When you feel the tricep, inside of your arm, etc. touch your side THAT is when you internally rotate your forearm (not whole arm).
3. Pitch the ball and finish like you are shaking the catcher's hand
(Your palm will pretty much be facing third* down the backside and facing 1st base dugout* at the finish for righty)

NOTES:
* Facing third is not the best. Ball should be somewhat skyward.
* This could lead to rolling around the ball. That's an easy correction to make with explanation and video feedback)

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Is there a DVD will Sarah in it? I looked several times before and I can’t find one.
Yes, plenty of them on youtube. just search Sarah Pauly Pitching or Rick Pauly softball or anything close to that and you will find them. I am assuming that is what you meant versus a DVD? However, Rick does have DVD's and all kinds of good stuff at very fair prices on his website. www.paulygirlfastpitch.com But he also shared alot of material on youtube as well.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes, plenty of them on youtube. just search Sarah Pauly Pitching or Rick Pauly softball or anything close to that and you will find them. I am assuming that is what you meant versus a DVD? However, Rick does have DVD's and all kinds of good stuff at very fair prices on his website. www.paulygirlfastpitch.com But he also shared alot of material on youtube as well.
Yes I have seen his website and the video segments he sales. Just wondering if there was 1 DVD with all the segments?

Nov 25, 2012
USA
But wait...there's more! Just leading with the pinky can lead to a screwball release with no IR!
Try this:
1. lead with the pinky
2. When you feel the tricep, inside of your arm, etc. touch your side THAT is when you internally rotate your forearm (not whole arm).
3. Pitch the ball and finish like you are shaking the catcher's hand
(Your palm will pretty much be facing third* down the backside and facing 1st base dugout* at the finish for righty)

NOTES:
* Facing third is not the best. Ball should be somewhat skyward.
* This could lead to rolling around the ball. That's an easy correction to make with explanation and video feedback)

Excellent points and very true. Not only can a girl IR too early they can miss the whip completely if too late. This is where timing is critical to brush assisted whip. Just as mentioned in point 2. above, it is keeping the hand inside the ball into brush and THEN the IR happens. I suggest watching and studying just that phase "9 o'clock to release" in slow mo on youtube on as many pitchers as you can.

One other note and I wish somebody would have told me this years ago when I started down the "pitching road". Teach yourself to pitch! I spent a few years simply teaching my DD's what I learned here without being able to do it myself. While it still worked out pretty well it could have been better and a much faster process IMO if I could "feel" what I was teaching. So now, before I make any changes or modifications, introduce a new grip or pitch, I a make sure I can do it and do it well before I teach it. Maybe not for everyone but it is part of the fun for me to be honest.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Yes I have seen his website and the video segments he sales. Just wondering if there was 1 DVD with all the segments?
I think he probably does have something with it all or most of it on his website. You can also email him and ask. He is always open to helping out and I have reached out to him many times in the past for help and advice. Rick is the best!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Both girls have the same issue, improper arm action. A good pitching motion is built around having the elbow lead the hand on the downswing, Look for the 'lock it in' drill and start with that.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
She does have some postural breakdown as evidenced by the bend at the hips and her shoulders working to muscle the pitch Over rotating.

Both T and T need to learn how to throw/whip before trying to pitch. Posture is your foundation. Posture, posture posture... Learn to relax the lower arm, provide a stable platform to whip against, then add effort, lower body contribution and distance while maintaining successful reps.

One key is good reps. No bad reps without changing something to allow for perfect reps. Slow down, decrease distance, close the eyes, throw into a net, double check with an iPhone—-whatever it takes to maintain good reps.

Learn to self-evaluate and adjust. Drills without understanding and awareness are less effective. One goal is to identify good/not good before a parent or coach can comment and make the correction. Sometimes it takes some drilling to realize the feel between good and not good. Whip can feel out of control at first. The sooner the student can give up control and feel the whip, the faster she will progress.

Once she starts nailing posture and whip, you’ll notice the ball ALWAYS goes to the same spot (with or without the eyes open.). That’s when you can start playing with control by looking at a spot opposite where she’s hitting and split the difference. If there’s a breakdown in form, backchain until she has success.

Learn drive mechanics without a ball. Slowly bring whip with good posture and drive together.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee