Opinions on DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I would like to see her show the hip pocket to the pitcher (coil), and stride with the heel leading a bit to maintain that coil.

I would also like to see a slightly wider stride and separation with the bat, like she was getting ready to throw a ball outfield. Make sure the stride foot is well past the point of contact. She seems slightly out front now.

Also, push the tee down to it's lowest point and have her work on her tilt. Everything she is hitting is going down to the floor. Not good. Put the ball on a low tee and have her lift it to a line drive. That's real important at this point. I think I recall in her first videos that she was hitting too many downwards.

Oct 25, 2009
Also, have her do a drill I call the two-step. Have her stride twice to toe touch without hitting the ball. On the first stride she will remain at stretch and FEEL the power of that position. Tell her to imagine the damage she could do from this position.

On the second stride do the same except this time she will come to point of contact without knocking the ball off. Check points: did the hip start the swing?; did the hands stay back until the hips pulled them off the shelf?; did she tilt to hit the low pitch?; are the shoulders, bat, and hands all at the same angle at point of contact?

Then, stride and hit normally.

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
She has to load the rear arm/elbow up. By leaving the elbow down during the load, she is creating too much bat drag as she slots the back elbow during the delivery of the barrel.

See video...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just guessing mind you, but this swing must have your daughter fairly frustrated.

Her sequence is killing her. Take note that she begins by loading her upper body, rather than the lower body first. She basically brings her hands rearward prior to bringing her hips forward ... the exact opposite of what you want. She should be loading her rear leg at this time, not her hands ... the hands shouldn't be loading rearward until the hips are brought forward (preferably coiled forward). Ends up being an upper body arm swing with major disconnection (or zippo connection).

28hfvwy.gif

2gulg2c.gif

Start the sequence by using the muscles in the lower spine and rear hip area to load the rear leg ...

... then as the hips are brought forward (coiled forward), load the hands rearward. Load the hands rearward WHILE the hips are coiled forward ... not before ....

2dkekcp.gif

wu5ugw.gif

... then separate ... i.e., initiate the swing with the lower body ... hips lead arms/shoulders ... wring the rag ... open the lower ahead of the upper ... twist the gut out of the way.

Jan 24, 2011
This hands thing is definitely a work in progress. Before , she wasnt loading her hands at all and we started working on them. Now , she loads them , but not in the correct sequence. We will be doing more work sometime today. Will post more video for more discussion. Really glad we have Winter workouts to get this sorted out.

Jan 25, 2011
This hands thing is definitely a work in progress. Before , she wasnt loading her hands at all and we started working on them. Now , she loads them , but not in the correct sequence. We will be doing more work sometime today. Will post more video for more discussion. Really glad we have Winter workouts to get this sorted out.
I dont know if this will help you and your dd,but my dd's BC has her do this looks kind of like strecth you would do to warm up,but he has her get in a batting position with her bat holding it out in front of her,with one hand on the handle and the other on the barrel.He then has her stride to toe touch,but as she is striding he has her take the bat and upper body and rotate it back,like at the catcher.He has her real twist back,he say over do the twist,so that she can feel the strecth in the front half working up the leg,hips and core.I dont know if I explained it well enough and I'am sorry if it doesn't make sense.I will try to post a video of it this weekend or Monday after Christmas.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Just guessing mind you, but this swing must have your daughter fairly frustrated.

Her sequence is killing her. Take note that she begins by loading her upper body, rather than the lower body first. She basically brings her hands rearward prior to bringing her hips forward ... the exact opposite of what you want. She should be loading her rear leg at this time, not her hands ... the hands shouldn't be loading rearward until the hips are brought forward (preferably coiled forward). Ends up being an upper body arm swing with major disconnection (or zippo connection).

28hfvwy.gif

2gulg2c.gif

Start the sequence by using the muscles in the lower spine and rear hip area to load the rear leg ...

... then as the hips are brought forward (coiled forward), load the hands rearward. Load the hands rearward WHILE the hips are coiled forward ... not before ....

2dkekcp.gif

wu5ugw.gif

... then separate ... i.e., initiate the swing with the lower body ... hips lead arms/shoulders ... wring the rag ... open the lower ahead of the upper ... twist the gut out of the way.

I would say that your clips show a more active load with the rear arm/elbow vs. hands. The hands move slightly back as a byproduct of the rear arm loading to throw the barrel.

As far as the timing of the lower half and upper half load, keep it simple and connected. As you begin to load back to the rear leg, begin to load the rear arm/elbow. This also helps to limit the over straightening of the lead arm (arm-bar) during the load.

Keep it connected at the start so that it stays connected through the swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Jim ... I'm fine with the notion of the rear arm vs hands at this point in the swing ... not fine about being connected at this point in the swing. IMO what Slaught/Candrea/Enquist and others are advocating with a "live and independent" action during this portion of the swing is not being connected. In terms of keeping it simple ... I once told a hitter to load their hands a little later than their hips, and from that simple cue they got it ... so yes, it can be incredibly simple.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

If possible ... consider taking the video from the perspective of the camera being located in the direction of the opposite batter's box ... this will allow us to highlight a few things that will make things more clear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1