Opinions on DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Havent really worked on it much as of yet (more my fault than hers). Also , not going to go overboard right now with adjustments during the last few tournaments. However , we will put in the time in the Fall. We recognize the problems and will work on them.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
Still no coil, not leading with the hip, dropping the hands, all arm swing.

Well...

I've seen worse swings.

She's not dropping her hands as much as she's chopping down on the ball a bit. That is due in part to holding her hands so high.

I would simplify her hands and get her away from her current "phony" load.

She's also stepping in the bucket a bit.

Jan 24, 2011
Well...

I've seen worse swings.

She's not dropping her hands as much as she's chopping down on the ball a bit. That is due in part to holding her hands so high.

This is what I feared when we starting working the hips. Like I said before , I just dont think I am relaying this info very well. As for the hands , I will try and have her lower then a bit as well as doing some high tee work

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
DD wanted to go for a few more swings this evening (with thunder rumbling). She really wants to get this lower body thing fixed. Just dont know that I am doing a good job relaying the info to her in an instructive / understandable way. Also , I am getting frustrated with the dropping of the hands. She had really broken that habit for most of the Summer. But , it has creeped back in a big way.

‪MOV007‬‏ - YouTube

Much better with the bottom half. Liked the rear foot getting up on the toe from the weight shift.

Oct 25, 2009
As far as stepping into the bucket because of the hips, have her lead slightly with her front heel (pigeon toed front foot). Coiling the hips inward would help that much better. Coil, and hold the coil to toe touch.

You are doing fine. It's practice, experiment with the coil. Nothing there to lose. I like to have the players actually lift their lead knee and rotate it in almost to the center of their body; like major league pitchers when they are winding up. You do this as a drill to have them feel the coil and the weight shift as they come to toe touch. I call it a kick stride drill. Your DD looks like she has great potential. Don't be afraid to think outside the box; experiment.

On an open field you will be able to see the results of the extra power. But we'll be able to see the form fine from where you are.

PS: Thanks for the video. Everyone on here is patient and very willing to help.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Well...

I've seen worse swings.

Could you elaborate on this a bit. Thanks

Oct 12, 2009
Could you elaborate on this a bit. Thanks

What she's doing makes it look like she is loading her hands, but it isn't helping to hold her shoulders back. It would be simpler if she just started with her hands back as Benyi does. That or sequence her load better so that there isn't a pause.

Oct 25, 2009
Much improved. Do this with front toss for timing. She's going to pleased with the improved performance. And there's more to come.

Side note: I tried the small TCB-type weighted balls. You can pitch them to her full speed or less from about 20 feet safely. And she'll hit them about that far on the fly but they won't come back at you very fast.

I ordered a dozen from the TCB place but if your local Walmart has the small ones you can get them MUCH cheaper. I paid $116.00 for a dozen including shipping. EXPENSIVE!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi