Opinions on DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Are you sure we are making progress? She still isnt using her lower body very well. There just doesnt seem to be good enough weight shift and she looks to be coming "up and out" of the swing (which I think is causing her to drop the hands in order to get to the ball)

Last edited:
R

RayR

I will say it now with even more conviction based on the recent swings....her front shoulder should not be higher then the rear one before the back heel starts to release....fix that....if the front shoulder lifts early the hands drop....and sweep....

CaitlinBenji2005UCLA_SView.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes ... this is progress. The prior swings were pure disconnection ... pretty much wouldn't have mattered what she did with the lower body.

Quick question ... where does she perceive the maximum effort level to be in her swing?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not sure you are following MTS's comments. I believe he's recommending the "down to" and "up through" movement we sometimes speak of. It is generally something we achieve (i.e., set up for) when teaching the loading of the hands.

Jan 24, 2011
Yes ... this is progress. The prior swings were pure disconnection ... pretty much wouldn't have mattered what she did with the lower body.

Quick question ... where does she perceive the maximum effort level to be in her swing?

Not sure she totally understood the question when I asked , but she said at contact. This leads me to believe that she is trying to "overpower" the swing to hit the ball hard which leads to her "arm-y" swing

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not sure she totally understood the question when I asked , but she said at contact. This leads me to believe that she is trying to "overpower" the swing to hit the ball hard which leads to her "arm-y" swing

Let me put it this way ... I'm not overly excited about her use of her hands. I perceive a late use. If you followed Crankermo's recent progress then you'll know what I'm talking about. In fact ... if Crankermo is reading this, then please comment if you are seeing something similar and share your recent work in this area.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I believe you could satisfy MTS’s observation, as well as my desire for further improvement in the sequence, by a slight modification in how the hands load rearward AS the hips are brought forward. Simple application of a BHUT based hand load would likely satisfy both of us. If that doesn’t ring a bell, let us know and either I or someone else here will explain it.

Crankermo … if you are reading along … would like to hear your thoughts here … I perceive this hitter is near a spot that would receive a nice goose relative to what your daughter recently worked on. Chime in if you are reading along.

p.s.
This was meant to be a reply to a post that no longer exists.

Jan 24, 2011
I believe you could satisfy MTS’s observation, as well as my desire for further improvement in the sequence, by a slight modification in how the hands load rearward AS the hips are brought forward. Simple application of a BHUT based hand load would likely satisfy both of us. If that doesn’t ring a bell, let us know and either I or someone else here will explain it.

Crankermo … if you are reading along … would like to hear your thoughts here … I perceive this hitter is near a spot that would receive a nice goose relative to what your daughter recently worked on. Chime in if you are reading along.

p.s.
This was meant to be a reply to a post that no longer exists.

Sorry about the deleted post. I meant to edit it , but deleted instead. Anyway , give me a refresher on the BHUT based hand load.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sorry about the deleted post. I meant to edit it , but deleted instead. Anyway , give me a refresher on the BHUT based hand load.

BHUT … stands for Bottom-Hand Under Top-hand (BHUT).

BHUT is basically one approach for the movement of the hands from one’s ‘stance’ to one's ‘launch’. The Bottom-Hand will pass Under the Top-hand as the hands move rearward from ‘stance’ to ‘launch’.

Here’s an example … not exactly the best synchronization in this demo … but you can see how the Bottom-Hand passes Under the Top-hand and then moves “up and in”.

71iek0.gif

This ... as opposed to someone that moves their bottom-hand ‘around’ their top-hand ...

s5lm5y.gif

During the actual movement of the bottom hand passing under, there will likely be a parallel feel of the rear leg being loaded … and as the hands continue to move “up & in”, there generally is a feel of desiring to bring the hips forward (coiling forward).

It’s sort of a built-in mini-hitch … and such a hitch generally establishes near perfect timing for bringing the hips forward as the hands load rearward.

It is also a good way to establish a hand-set that has the knob pointing in the area towards the catcher’s feet (near one’s ‘launch’ position).

Further, the lead shoulder “down & in” action … that I believe MTS is attempting to describe … is much more natural during a BHUT-like based movement of the hands rearward between ‘stance’ and ‘launch’.

Your daughter doesn't have an "up & in" movement of her hands as she arrives at 'launch' ... she has the "in", but not the "up & in" ... she's missing the "up" in the "up & in" ... and she doesn't obtain the corresponding lead shoulder lowering action that I believe MTS is attempting to describe.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Just re-read this post.

Yes ... it looks like she is applying maximum effort 'at contact'. Maximum effort should be prior to this. She doesn't yet have the 'feel' of the hands and a proper 'release' process ... or an understanding of how one establishes lag to lead to a higher level release.

Still waiting on Crankermo's comments before commenting further on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad