Opinions on DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Everything is still starting with the top half. The hips should fire before the hands move. The hands are the last thing that move.

I would shift the drill focus to the bottom half. Start by having her take a stride to toe touch, pause, toss the ball, lead with the hip, and swing. The pause is for the purpose of the drill.

She is only using her top half, and even then it's mostly arms dipping down to reach the ball. Let the ball come in without reaching out for it (disconnection). Tell her to keep the hands at launch position until the very last instant.

But focus, for now, mostly on the bottom half. See the thread Megan 1-Tee. There's some good info there and video.

Keep using the check-swing drill, also.

Jan 24, 2011
I think she believes that her hands wont be quick enough to catch up to some of the better pitching. Last year , she had a problem with not getting her hands through quick enough , she ended up with a ton of poo poo ground balls to the 2nd basemen.

Oct 12, 2009
I think she believes that her hands wont be quick enough to catch up to some of the better pitching. Last year , she had a problem with not getting her hands through quick enough , she ended up with a ton of poo poo ground balls to the 2nd basemen.

She has to drop her hands because they start so high and always have to drop significantly.

That sets her up for an arm-y swing.

I would simplify her hand position and lower her hands.

Look at the Caitlin Benyi clip.

CaitlinBenji2005UCLA_SView.gif

I'm not sure why people are reluctant to do what clearly worked for a good hitter (and has worked for many other good hitters).

Oct 25, 2009

Yep, many believe that bat speed is in the arms/hands. The hips have a major role in quickness to the ball. As the hips clear the arms/hands are now in a position to be quick to the ball. If your hips were to not rotate at all you would see major slowness to the ball.

Work the hips first and start looking for signs of her being too early (a good sign in this case). Or have her hit off a fast machine with the hips like she's using them now and then with the hips already turned, like in the check swing drill.

The hands are slower than the hips. That's why the hips fire first and the hands catch up by the point of contact. The faster the hips fire the quicker the bat to the ball.

Oct 25, 2009
She has to drop her hands because they start so high and always have to drop significantly.

That sets her up for an arm-y swing.

I would simplify her hand position and lower her hands.

Look at the Caitlin Benyi clip.

CaitlinBenji2005UCLA_SView.gif

I'm not sure why people are reluctant to do what clearly worked for a good hitter (and has worked for many other good hitters).

She has bigger issues than the high hands at the moment. Sounds like she's trying to do everything with the arms. Until we get past the hip problem everything else is going to be off.

Jan 24, 2011
Purchased the RightViewPro analysis software and the Olympic hitting models. Hoping that this will help my DD see things visually instead of just trying to verbally instruct her. Also bought 1/2 dozen of the Total Control Balls.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Still no coil, not leading with the hip, dropping the hands, all arm swing.

I believe if you will start working the lower half as previously discussed you will see some improvement in the top half. Regardless, you need to fix the bottom half.

Do the check-swing drill using those balls and you will probably see the ball come right back at you for a middle-middle pitch.

RVP should be able to show you the bottom half fundamentals. Caution: don't compare just one or two models, look at many different swings. Start bottom-up.

Jan 24, 2011
Still no coil, not leading with the hip, dropping the hands, all arm swing.

I believe if you will start working the lower half as previously discussed you will see some improvement in the top half. Regardless, you need to fix the bottom half.

Do the check-swing drill using those balls and you will probably see the ball come right back at you for a middle-middle pitch.

RVP should be able to show you the bottom half fundamentals. Caution: don't compare just one or two models, look at many different swings. Start bottom-up.

I understand what the problems are now. Just going to take some time and some work. However , swing isnt completely broken. She rarely strikes out (total of 5 times in 100+ AB) , good clutch hitter , just not much power right now. But , she will work at it.

Oct 25, 2009
I understand what the problems are now. Just going to take some time and some work. However , swing isnt completely broken. She rarely strikes out (total of 5 times in 100+ AB) , good clutch hitter , just not much power right now. But , she will work at it.

The parts that need working on should have priority. Even though she may be doing well at this level the problems will negate that success at higher levels or better pitching. Plus, it's only reinforcing bad habits. I can guess that she hasn't worked on her hips much since the earlier posts. That's one of the quickest fixes and, like I said before, it may help with other issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi