Open vs Closed Pitching Style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I agree with all that with a couple of caveats. I have seen some very flexible girls who could externally rotate the shoulder, if I have that term correct, to an extraordinary degree. Not that that invalidates the rule that being a little more open on the rise helps. On your assertion that "correct" mechanics need to be used, well, yeah, but just like in hitting, their are plenty of people with resumes who disagree on what those correct mechanics are. I agree there are mechanics that are the most efficient and safe. I'm just saying words like correct, or in hitting the popular word is "proper mechanics", imply a level of agreement across the sport that just isn't there. We in the sport can't even agree on the definitions of terms. That's why I try to avoid words like closed, open, figure 4, leap and drag, stepping style etc in favor of linking to a clip and saying, "there, pitch like that". You standing in front of someone teaching have the advantage of making sure they understand your words. Not so on the net.

By the way, I see where Mike White was recently honored. 9/23 SEPTEMBER 23 UPDATE

Mark, there are correct ways to throw and incorrect ways to throw. Incorrect does not mean you can't pitch. I watched the College World Series and saw terrible mechanics by some so called "elite" pitchers. They got there because they were big and strong and overcame some of their shortcomings. There are many people out there teaching pitching that prescribe a lot of the "wrong" ways to throw, so that there is so much information that I can see why you think there is no agreement as to what's right and what's wrong. There are plenty of girls who should not be pitching because they really don't have the athletic skills to do it correctly. Therefore, pitching coaches have come up with crazy drills and styles to accomodate these kids. These teachings have cropped up everywhere and what you have are the girls that are capable of doing it properly are being taught the nonsense that was made available for the not so gifted athlete. I think that you may have been exposed to a lot of the Ernie Parker and other guru's methods and can't decide what is right or wrong.

I dont agree with your statement about thinking a pitcher has to be a gifted athlete. I have alot of kids who in my opinion are not even close to gifted and they are very successful pitchers. If the kid wants to work at it and put the time in to it, she can be successful. Last weekend while watching the University of Michigan play I was told by several people including her pitching coach that the pitcher who won the national championship in 2005 was not a very good athlete. Im gonna tell you right now she can pitch! She was 1 spot away from making the olympic team! I have had parents call me crying, when their kid made all conference or whatever, when they felt in their mind that their kid would never be very successful in sports. I love these kids because they tend to work extremely hard.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I dont agree with your statement about thinking a pitcher has to be a gifted athlete. I have alot of kids who in my opinion are not even close to gifted and they are very successful pitchers. If the kid wants to work at it and put the time in to it, she can be successful. Last weekend while watching the University of Michigan play I was told by several people including her pitching coach that the pitcher who won the national championship in 2005 was not a very good athlete. Im gonna tell you right now she can pitch! She was 1 spot away from making the olympic team! I have had parents call me crying, when their kid made all conference or whatever, when they felt in their mind that their kid would never be very successful in sports. I love these kids because they tend to work extremely hard.

I guess what I meant was they didn't have the athletic ability to be a pitcher. Some aspects of pitching are very mechanical and robotic. If someone has that aptitude but can't dribble or shoot a basketball or hit a softball, they are not a good athlete but have the essential skills to be a pitcher. There must be a core set of skills needed to be a pitcher. Some kids will never be a pitcher, even if they are good athletes. I think the ability to imitate movements is probably the greatest asset a prospective pitcher can have. Watching how to do something and then doing it is a very valuable skill.

May 12, 2008
Mark, there are correct ways to throw and incorrect ways to throw. Incorrect does not mean you can't pitch. I watched the College World Series and saw terrible mechanics by some so called "elite" pitchers. They got there because they were big and strong and overcame some of their shortcomings..

I thought that's what I said?

There are many people out there teaching pitching that prescribe a lot of the "wrong" ways to throw, so that there is so much information that I can see why you think there is no agreement as to what's right and what's wrong. .

I don't think, I know there is no agreement. This paragraph of yours is saying the same thing I am-there are a lot of people out there teaching different things-because each of them think they are correct. Same in hitting.

I think that you may have been exposed to a lot of the Ernie Parker and other guru's methods and can't decide what is right or wrong.

No, I'm like everyone else. I think I know what is effective, efficient and safe and anyone who disagrees with me is probably wrong. :D

Jun 6, 2009
I guess what I meant was they didn't have the athletic ability to be a pitcher. Some aspects of pitching are very mechanical and robotic. If someone has that aptitude but can't dribble or shoot a basketball or hit a softball, they are not a good athlete but have the essential skills to be a pitcher. There must be a core set of skills needed to be a pitcher. Some kids will never be a pitcher, even if they are good athletes. I think the ability to imitate movements is probably the greatest asset a prospective pitcher can have. Watching how to do something and then doing it is a very valuable skill.

IMO, the "core set of skills" is their work ethic. I have had a good number of pitchers over the years who made it to college beause they were willing to work harder and longer than anybody else. I recall seeing Cat in HS and her batting skills were, IMO definitely suboptimal. She was slow on the base paths and her fielding was not what I would call stellar. However, she has been able to do pretty well for herself. Conversely, I have seen pitchers with tremendous natural athletic ability, but they also had a pretty good work ethic. I have also seen several really gifted atheletes who were not cut out for pitching. In their world, why spend endless hours learning to pitch, when you can be a great SS or whatever and not have to put in the time required to be great at pitching.

YMMV

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Mark, a lot of stuff is patently wrong, ie "slamming the door", or the having different motions for different pitches. Like Hillhouse and Gillis and others say, there are styles and there are absolutes. I think separating the two would be a good start in arriving at the "what is proper technique" answer.

Calgofo, work ethic is indeed important, so is attitude and other intangibles. I know people that would give their right eye to be a pitcher and practice continuously but will never be that good. It is only a moderate part of the equation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12