One More Year of Rec.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I agree that this should be about what makes her happy. $300 is extreme for a rec league, and keep in mind that rec leagues have rec coaches... most rec coaches are just parents trying their best but dont have the knowledge or experience to help your dd to the next level. If she is "all about ball" then you should look into TB, because rec is about fun and TB is about becoming the best you can, then dominating your high school team, and showcase tourneys to get colleges to notice you and if all the stars align, maybe even some offers.

Mar 13, 2010
Not bad at all. Ours is 90 and have to sell 50$ raffle and uniform is separate.

We encourage fundraising as well (don't make anyone sell raffle tickets, though we are discussing it for next year) Ours is $99.50 (as treasurer I HATE that figure) which includes pants and shirts, and you get money back when you hand them back. The extra $20 is for hat and socks, which obviously stays the same for a couple of years.

Our seniors are $200, again uniforms, hats and socks. We make them buy pants though! (so next year all returning players will get lesser fees)

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
We used to pay about $270, for which we got one cotton jersey, huge org.
They always blamed it on field costs from the city. In hindsight, it was more likely we were subsidizing the TB program and their indoor facility.

Apr 1, 2010
I always thought she could play against better completion and I have been asked a few times if she had any interest in moving to Team X.

You never know but MS was a little bit of on eye opener, all the various players from different teams all trying out for the same Team. Some from TB, most not.

I mentioned this in a different thread(s) but I gave her the don’t be disappointed if you don’t make the Team and be ready to cheer your Team on from the bench if do make the Team speech. She was the team’s best player and never saw the bench. She did run into quite a few TB pitchers and could hit them just fine.

Playing HS is not even on her radar I just think she would have a better time not having to decide after she catches the ball if she should throw the ball and how hard she can throw it depending on who is on the receiving end. She is just used to it and thinks that is how everyone plays.

Anyways, we are set for the year and know what she signed up for.

There are a lot of good clubs around our area so I think we would be able to find a C or B club everyone would be comfortable with, maybe next year.

At least it may not be such a huge leap in expenses when you leave rec, LOL! I was talking to another Mom at last night's practice who said she and her daughter went to go watch her DD's old C team play and cheer them on. Her daughter told her, "Mom, I didn't know we were that bad." ...And that was just a girl moving from a small town C team to a suburban B team.

I'm sure your DD is going to have a great time playing TB if and when she decides to move. I'm sorry you'll have to suffer through another year of watching rec games. However, there's plenty of parental pain in TB too. ;-)

Maybe you could see if she could guest-play with one of those teams that have shown an interest in her? It is a real joy for a girl to be able to play up to the level of her abilities, without having to treat teammates with kid gloves.

Aug 7, 2012
Just curious, how many games do you play? Do you have paid umps? Does the league have to rent fields? Do the league supply equipment/helmets and bats?

Our area rec league is around $150 w/ $100 fundraiser or buy-out option 15 or so game, paid ump, rented park district fields and only supplied catchers equipment and jerseys. They have travel teams but those are self funded.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just curious, how many games do you play?
20 game schedule, with a double elimination year end tourney.

Does the league have to rent fields?
Do not think so, just maintain them. We need to pay for the lights for the night games.

Does the league supply equipment/helmets and bats?
Yes, not very good equipment though. Starting at 10U most players have their own bats so they do not invest any money in the bats. Players seem to still use the helmets and c equipment.

We have 1 ASA certified umpire during the regular 20 game schedule, 2 umpires for the end year tournament games. For whatever reason we do not do much fundraising, a bowling night once a year is all that comes to mind.

We do host as many of the end of year tournaments for the different age groups as we can, it’s a hassle but brings in a few dollars.

Last edited:

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Seems like a lot of people on this board are wildly underestimating the costs incurred in running a Rec league (utilities, insurance, umpires, equipment, and especially field maintenance). If you are playing in a Rec league for $100, it is likely heavily subsidized by some municipality that is either paying out of pocket for these services or providing things like utilities and field maintenance for free. Many cities and counties are very cash strapped these days and can do little more than provide the fields and its the volunteer organizations responsibility to do everything else. Depending on how fund raising is done (some do a better job than others) this can lead to pretty significant fees. BTW, $150 w/ a $100 required fundraising isn't much different than a $300 fee.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
DD switched to batting lefty and more of an IR then HE and the coaches will have a lot of patience with her is the really good news..

I think it's a good idea to stay in rec this year. Switching to lefty is a major change and having an understanding coach is huge. Use this year for development not winning. Your DD will probably not be productive for a time and playing TB would be very stressful. Good luck.
And I also believe $300 is excessive for rec.

Oct 24, 2012
Our rec league is $55.00 for the Spring and $25.00 for the Fall.
Great fields, many certified umpires, jerseys and equipment provided (no helmets), 15-20 games. End of season tournament for both seasons. Mid year tournaments throughout that cost additional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug