One More Year of Rec.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

We pay $98.00 for rec with a $60 opt out or sell candy, you get jersey and visor; no pants or socks; paid umps that are not too bad. We do have team equipment bag but nothing great. 12 games for the year plus we get free entry into the tourney we host at the beginning of the year 3 gg. Then there is All Star season the league supports as much as they can but kids have to do tons of team fundraisers possibly 3 tourneys (sectional, regional and national)

I'm on the board so get insight into everything, we do OK but just enough to stay even, can't really make some improvements we would like to or do some little extras but we are pretty small 150 kids for 4-14 yr olds. The city gives us a good deal on fields but we do have to pay for lights.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our Club is going to have 2 12U Teams, after a few PMs with a new member she is going to be the Manager of the other 12U Team. Kind of an oh no moment, what have I posted about our club? This thread was discussed. :)

DD played on the same Team with their DD in 8U and 10U.

Oct 10, 2011
Our Club is going to have 2 12U Teams, after a few PMs with a new member she is going to be the Manager of the other 12U Team. Kind of an oh no moment, what have I posted about our club? This thread was discussed. :)

DD played on the same Team with their DD in 8U and 10U.
I know how you feel! I wish I could delete everything I wrote last summer about DD's team:)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
$300 is on the high side but not crazy for an urban area, especally if the league hires umps for games. Our rec league is $160 for 1st child $140 per additional but we have all volunteer umpires too and president said league fees would double if we went to paid umpires.

Feb 19, 2013
NJ
My DD is just turned 15 years old and still plays Rec. for fun with her friends. She is a current 18u Gold TB player too. She uses Rec. ball to work on her weaknesses in a game situation to become a stronger player in the end. She purposely will try things out in Rec. just to see what works and what doesn't and it's pretty stress free, because if you make an out once in a while or mistake, who cares? It's Rec. ball and its for fun. Chances if something isn't working at Rec. ball, it's not going to work in TB.

When something doesn't work, she laughs at herself along with her friends because it was fun to try. She does know which are the relatively unskilled players and takes it easy on them, for the love of the game. She doesn't want to discourage other girls either, because it is just for fun. She actually tries to help the other girls improve their game, so my DD can be more challenged.

My DD is a pitcher who can pitch 61mph since age 14. She uses this time to work on hiding her change-up and slows movement pitches at different speeds. She also bats the opposite side and practices bunts in Rec. ball unless the game is on the line. By practicing many things in Rec., she now has the ability to hit 65mph fastballs both lefty and righty, all because of practice in Rec. ball, where things can be learned at a slower speed in game situations. My DD has learned to hit change-ups now because of the slower opposing pitchers speed.

I really believe Rec. ball can be a positive experience, just as long as the parent lays off the DD and lets her trust her own instincts and enjoys the game. Let her explore and maybe even play up once in a while, if she's allowed to be more challenged.

It's Recreation ball and you're supposed to have fun. When it's not fun anymore, it's time to leave. Rec. ball is supposed to be stress-free, hence the term Recreation.

Hope all works out for you and DD. BTW, $300 is expensive for Rec. Ball. The most I've ever paid is $100 and I'm in the Tri-State area. I've seen TB at that age cost that much. Good luck.

Apr 11, 2012
LOL....$300 for rec ball with one umpire!....the dude lives in Chicago, one of the most corrupt and crooked towns ever....maybe some of you all haven't been there...but everything is expensive is Chicago, as everyone in a postion of power is getting greased somehow it seems....I work for the biggest heavy highway contractor and second largest aggregate material supplier in the country and we do not do buiness in 5 states because of this type of price fixing and Illinois is second on the list only to Louisanna.....hell, even the "Rock n' Roll McDonalds downtown wants $10 for a #1....and no dollar menu either. I'm surprised the guy didn't have to give up a kidney for his kid to play....

Mar 29, 2012
our rec program is $95 and you get socks, 1 pant and 1 jersey. we have 1 paid ump per game.

My DD just moved tpo travel this year and the cost was $725!