Ok to bring up at plate meeting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
This is an excellent time to bring it up. At 14u we had a player that wore an insulin pump due to Type 1 diabetes. In our first couple of tournaments, several teams we played against questioned it. After the umpire came to talk to us and we explained what it was, all was good. But it still took time away from the game unnecessarily. Moving forward we simply made it a point to inform the umpires prior to the game. Then if the other team questioned it, the question was answered immediately without a delay.
We had a Diabetic and we told the ump and coach at the plate meeting that sometimes she needs skittles.... "No problem no time will be charged" and that was it.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Wouldn't.
Not the place to discuss teams strategy!

Just keep photo copy of the rules in pocket to whip out if needed during the game.

Also in case blue doesnt know accurately the rule...
Not good to show up an umpire
Especially befor the game ;)
I agree 100 %. Not the place to discuss.
if the umpire calls it an illegal pitch, calmly ask for the UIC or tournament director, and if they don’t know the rules. Just go play the game and never go back to this tournament.

May 10, 2021
Most of the umpires know it's allowed and we just have the opposing coach questioning it. When it is called illegal and we question it we usually just get a basic "it's illegal, move on" response. The most recent ump that called it illegal, we questioned it, he said she didn't make a full rotation. He then met with his partner to discuss it and said she's not allowed to stop her motion once the pitch has started (true) and that changing direction of her arm movement is essentially stopping the motion (she does not stop). We just quit throwing it for that game. TD was there at end of game and said he would let umpire know the pitch itself is legal and we just needed to make sure she didn't stop or pause when changing directions. That's fine - she knows not to stop or pause but maybe she did that last pitch. He didn't call the other ones she previously threw illegal. He only called it illegal after the opposing coach questioned it. Good lesson learned - she's extra careful now to make sure there is no pause when changing directions.

Just to note - We have never had an umpire call it illegal without be prompted by a challenge of the pitch by the opposing coach.
It is I was going to say rare......but it is uncommon for local umpires to call any pitch illegal without prompt.

Finally they run into me and I call illegal...."well she has been doing it all year"......lol

I will say I have NOT seen the slingshot brought up at umpire clinics at least lately.

Good times.

May 24, 2016
The slingshot pitch has been around as long as Fastpitch Softball! Very Rare but Very “Legal”! I would get with the Umpire in Chief (UIC) before the tournament starts. Usually the UIC briefs his crews prior to the start. Please post a video if you can! I have been calling Fastpitch for 25 years…never have seen it in a game I have done. If there was a stop or pause when changing direction that would be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Question for Umpires - My DD is a pitcher and one of her pitches is a slingshot. It is legal in all of the sanctions we play in - we have had to prove this numerous times. She doesn't throw it often but it is useful to her in certain situations. It's about 50/50 on the opposing coach questioning it or knowing its legal. It's about 80/20 on the umpire knowing its legal. My question is - would it be appropriate to bring this up at the plate meeting to get the question out of the way up front rather than cause a delay when it is thrown? That way the opposing coach has a chance at that time to question it and if the umpire is unfamiliar with it everything can be cleared up there rather than in the heat of the moment.
There's no reason why you have to inform the opposing coach, but any time a player plans to do something out of the ordinary you should always tell the umpire what's coming. I would have a rule book ready so that the two of you can review it and clear up any disagreement before the game starts. The one thing I wouldn't do is argue the point with the umpire. Make your case calmly, if necessary, and if the umpire disagrees about its legality, you'll just have to let it go and ask that the umpire check it out after the game in case you see each other again.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
It is I was going to say rare......but it is uncommon for local umpires to call any pitch illegal without prompt.

Finally they run into me and I call illegal...."well she has been doing it all year"......lol

I will say I have NOT seen the slingshot brought up at umpire clinics at least lately.

Good times.
As an official in more than one sport I've heard the "he/she has been doing it all year" or "We teach that" line quite a few times. My response is always the same, "Tell him/her to stop doing it. It's illegal."

Jun 7, 2020
40 years ago, 12 year olds, dwhen we played the sling shot was the only motion we saw. There was only one girl throwing windmill in our league.

Oct 4, 2018
Befor the game imo
is worse than
'When needed'

Hi blue
Our runners on bases are taught to start with one foot back.
So they go in motion befor the pitcher releases the ball.
Please dont let that confuse you on leaving the base early.
imo No no no...not appropriate.
And un-needed...

Just let the umpire be the official!
Yes yes yes!

That's not the scenario in question.

Oct 4, 2018
Curious to know why this would be called illegal? Did any of the umpires say why? I have heard "quick pitch" called once.

In Michigan I don't see many illegal pitches ever called although MANY pitchers leap and replant all the time.

Some umpires call it illegal because it looks funny.

Slingshot is really just the way most dads pitch. It can really throw off the timing of a hitter if it's used once per game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors