Ok to bring up at plate meeting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2019
Question for Umpires - My DD is a pitcher and one of her pitches is a slingshot. It is legal in all of the sanctions we play in - we have had to prove this numerous times. She doesn't throw it often but it is useful to her in certain situations. It's about 50/50 on the opposing coach questioning it or knowing its legal. It's about 80/20 on the umpire knowing its legal. My question is - would it be appropriate to bring this up at the plate meeting to get the question out of the way up front rather than cause a delay when it is thrown? That way the opposing coach has a chance at that time to question it and if the umpire is unfamiliar with it everything can be cleared up there rather than in the heat of the moment.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Question for Umpires - My DD is a pitcher and one of her pitches is a slingshot. It is legal in all of the sanctions we play in - we have had to prove this numerous times. She doesn't throw it often but it is useful to her in certain situations. It's about 50/50 on the opposing coach questioning it or knowing its legal. It's about 80/20 on the umpire knowing its legal. My question is - would it be appropriate to bring this up at the plate meeting to get the question out of the way up front rather than cause a delay when it is thrown? That way the opposing coach has a chance at that time to question it and if the umpire is unfamiliar with it everything can be cleared up there rather than in the heat of the moment.
That is the best time to bring it up. I would always chat with the umpires between innings to get clarifications on rules and go over "what if" situatuions to help me understand what can/can't be done that might affect my coaching decisions.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Wouldn't.
Not the place to discuss teams strategy!

Just keep photo copy of the rules in pocket to whip out if needed during the game.

Also in case blue doesnt know accurately the rule...
Not good to show up an umpire
Especially befor the game ;)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
That is the best time to bring it up. I would always chat with the umpires between innings to get clarifications on rules and go over "what if" situatuions to help me understand what can/can't be done that might affect my coaching decisions.
:) opposite views...
are good to ponder !

Must have been writing at same time lol

Jun 8, 2016
Wouldn't.

Just keep photo copy of the rules in pocket to whip out if needed during the game.

Yeah..according to the popular opinion on here, umpires are not fans of breaking out the rulebook during the game.....

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Wouldn't.

I could be wrong, but I was always told that unless you want to be tossed right away, itd be very wise not to show an umpire the rule book.

May 15, 2019
Wouldn't.

We are always ready with the rule but we have also learned that blue usually doesn't like the rulebook or a phone whipped out at him in the middle of a game either so we try not to do that! Usually we let the illegal pitch call stand and discuss it with him, show him the rule, in between innings.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Befor the game imo
is worse than
'When needed'

Hi blue
Our runners on bases are taught to start with one foot back.
So they go in motion befor the pitcher releases the ball.
Please dont let that confuse you on leaving the base early.
imo No no no...not appropriate.
And un-needed...

Just let the umpire be the official!
Yes yes yes!

May 17, 2012

I had a pitcher that threw this pitch and this was my experience.

It was rare that an umpire was aware of this type of pitch and that it was legal. Most of the time the game was stopped so the umpires could confer. Sometimes the tournament director was brought in...sometimes they ruled it was illegal. At a certain point in the season our parents knew the pitch was legal and would start chirping at the umpire immediately that it was legal once the pitch was thrown. Arguments would ensue in the stands between our parents and their parents. It just wasn't worth the drama.

What I hated the most was how it disrupted the flow of the game. Some of the umpire delays were lengthy and it just wasn't worth it in the end. She only threw the pitch once or twice a game in certain situations and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

I would not advise bringing this up pregame because ultimately some coaches would protest/argue anyways once the pitch was thrown and the umpires generally don't like you brining a rulebook to the pregame meeting. When playing in tournament games you are always on the clock and it just wasn't worth constantly arguing about (knowing you were always in the right).

Jun 8, 2016
Befor the game imo
is worse than
'When needed'

Hi blue
Our runners on bases are taught to start with one foot back.
So they go in motion befor the pitcher releases the ball.
Please dont let that confuse you on leaving the base early.
imo No no no...not appropriate.
And un-needed...

Just let the umpire be the official!
Yes yes yes!
Yeah..don't bring the rulebook out at all. In this case just ask if slingshot is legal or not before the game...Added bonus is if they have no idea what it is you should have a good idea how the rest of the game will go and you can prepare yourself... :LOL:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30