odd spin with internal rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2009
As I have mentioned before I'm not real technical when it comes to pitching but getting better with the help of the experts here. So now seeing the "gears" and mentally picturing how a pitch should look I'm going to thow a couple of questions out there, maybe have been asked before but I couldn't find them.

1. Are some pitchers more naturally inclined to the art of it then others?

2. If my 14 year old is already cruising in the low 60's is a better spin going to increase her speed?

3. I see some funky spins from my DD on her fastball which seems to make it move around more, why would I want to straighten this out to give a good hitter a bead on the ball?

4. DD brings ball back to the right field side of 2nd but can still hit the zone do we need to fix this?

5. Which sort of brings me back around to are some more naturally gifted then others.

Take Jim Furik the golfer as the example, funky back swing but at impact squares up, can this be the same for some pitchers?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Stinky, I am sure you know that some kids aren't pitchers and never will be but they go to lessons and spend money and will never even approach mediocrity because they don't have the athletic inclination.
Better spin won't increase speed. Better spin might make the ball move more which could make it harder to hit.
Funky spins are unpredictable and need to be fixed.
You need to fix the arm swing. Starting from a bad position leads to inconsistencies.

Why ask the fifth question? Can everyone play the piano? No.

Jul 14, 2008
As I have mentioned before I'm not real technical when it comes to pitching but getting better with the help of the experts here. So now seeing the "gears" and mentally picturing how a pitch should look I'm going to thow a couple of questions out there, maybe have been asked before but I couldn't find them.

1. Are some pitchers more naturally inclined to the art of it then others?

2. If my 14 year old is already cruising in the low 60's is a better spin going to increase her speed?

3. I see some funky spins from my DD on her fastball which seems to make it move around more, why would I want to straighten this out to give a good hitter a bead on the ball?

4. DD brings ball back to the right field side of 2nd but can still hit the zone do we need to fix this?

5. Which sort of brings me back around to are some more naturally gifted then others.

Take Jim Furik the golfer as the example, funky back swing but at impact squares up, can this be the same for some pitchers?

#1........ABSOLUTELY.....

#2........Quite Possibly......Proper Spin teaches/reinforces Proper Mechanics.......I use "spin to teach mechanics" as much as I use "mechanics to teach spin"......When I tell a kid to make the ball spin (from her view) like this, she almost teaches herself:

2ykku1t.gif

#3.......I'm more inclined to like "on purpose" vs. "on accident".......

#4.......Only if you/she want to improve.......Not if your/she is happy with her results.

#5.......AGAIN......ABSOLUTELY.....

Mar 6, 2009

The only thing I would add that may conflict with some of your points would be:

If a DD was able to achieve at a high performance level but at the cost of being healthy to her (Shoulder, knee, back etc..). Would it then be the right choice to make an adjustment? Furyk's swing doesn't appear to impact other body parts. Each person of influence may potentially have to ask the same question you are asking. Some will say it is ok to burn up a shoulder, some may say no and I am not sure either is right.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad