Need help with spin pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Changing from HE to IR has caused some issues for my DD with how to spin the ball. What I mean is since the release is WAY different understanding how to throw a drop or curve etc is from a HE release to a now IR release we need some help.
My DD throws fast ball, peel drop, 2 seem curve , rise and one knuckle change.
Can anyone help me help her understand how to teach her these pitches better with this new release. While the arm is internally rotating the ball comes off the hand way different than HE. thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2019

This may not fit some peoples definition of IR ( its not HE) but this is what I intend to teach after DD gets solid accuracy

Nov 8, 2018

This may not fit some peoples definition of IR ( its not HE) but this is what I intend to teach after DD gets solid accuracy

Thanks for the video. I believe we are past grip info at this point.
Looking for more of how that ball comes off the fingers as the hand and arm are internally rotating to get proper soon rotation.
Any key points, terms , metaphors would be helpful.

Apr 12, 2015
My DD throws fast ball, peel drop, 2 seem curve , rise and one knuckle change.

My first advise would be to get rid of some of the pitches. Then focus on ONE of the movement pitches and the change, then when those are perfect, add the third.

But that wasn't really your question.

For the drop, the fingers need to be pointed at the ground coming into release. Focus on getting the fingers behind the ball at release, with the action being focused on ripping all the gripping fingers through the ball at the same time. Sluggers describes this action as an accelerated IR compared to normal. The idea is you want all the gripping fingers to come off the ball at relatively the same time. A feathered release where the ball rolls off the gripping fingers individually will kill a drop ball. If she has good IR whip action, she will already be 90% on the way to a great peel drop.

For the rise, cup the wrist, keep the fingers under the ball. Don't focus on any silly door knob twisting action like you will often see taught. Focus on slicing the fingers under the ball. Don't fight IR, just make sure it happens when the fingers are under the ball. Try to move the thumb from the top of the ball more to the side of the ball if possible. A thumb opposite the fingers will turn a rise into bullet spin. If you hold the ball in your hand, think of the thumb being opposite the pinky rather than the middle finger.

For the change up find one she likes and focus on accuracy, consistency and deception with it.

For all of the pitches, the grip honestly has very little to do with the proper spin. What the grip will do is allow her to feel the seams and use them effectively. For a peel, my DD like her middle finger over a seam. It helps her feel the ripping action. With the rise, she likes her pointer finger tucked next to a seam. It helps her feel her fingers under the ball and gives her a feeling of having something to slice against, if that makes sense.

Nov 8, 2018
My first advise would be to get rid of some of the pitches. Then focus on ONE of the movement pitches and the change, then when those are perfect, add the third.

But that wasn't really your question.

For the drop, the fingers need to be pointed at the ground coming into release. Focus on getting the fingers behind the ball at release, with the action being focused on ripping all the gripping fingers through the ball at the same time. Sluggers describes this action as an accelerated IR compared to normal. The idea is you want all the gripping fingers to come off the ball at relatively the same time. A feathered release where the ball rolls off the gripping fingers individually will kill a drop ball. If she has good IR whip action, she will already be 90% on the way to a great peel drop.

For the rise, cup the wrist, keep the fingers under the ball. Don't focus on any silly door knob twisting action like you will often see taught. Focus on slicing the fingers under the ball. Don't fight IR, just make sure it happens when the fingers are under the ball. Try to move the thumb from the top of the ball more to the side of the ball if possible. A thumb opposite the fingers will turn a rise into bullet spin. If you hold the ball in your hand, think of the thumb being opposite the pinky rather than the middle finger.

For the change up find one she likes and focus on accuracy, consistency and deception with it.

That’s good stuff. Thank you.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's very difficult to throw a rise or a curve without IR. I doubt if she was throwing these pitches with HE. Make sure you know how the ball is supposed to spin for each of these pitches. I have had numerous girls come to me and they have no idea how a curve or rise is supposed to spin, and they can't recognize how their pitches are spinning. I don't like the video you posted on how to throw most of those pitches, the curve is released much earlier than is shown. Hooking the hand around the front of the body is pointless, the ball is long gone at that point.

Remember it's not how you hold or how you throw it, it's how it spins.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles