Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I realize that catchers would not just sweep, nor reach. I also realize that you could try to tag the runners hand/arm only while they slide in. However, most runners using that method do not stick out their arm the entire time down, just toward the very end. Plus an ump could more easily miss that tag.

Caught and played infield for twenty years, baseball and softball, FP & SP. Regardless of the base, the mechanic is the same. You guard the base, not reach for the runner so it really doesn't make any difference when the runner reaches for the base.

The reason the video was made was because someone here said that any average person would be able to reach quite far across the basepath from the inside of the base. Someone else mentioned that going directly to the bag is always the BEST way to go, why go anywhere else.

So I simply wanted to see just how far someone could reach without having to throw their body anywhere.

Yes, catcher CAN get there to tag that runner sliding as far away from them as possible - HOWEVER, an average person can't simply reach over and make the tag (as you said, it may require a catcher throwing herself over or making some kind of strong MOVE after the catch to get the runner).

Therefore, it's JMHO that on occasion, there are advantages to sliding somewhere besides directly into the plate. Why not take the route that makes the catcher have to do more than tag and drop the glove straight down? Why not make it as challenging a play for her as possible?

Are you in disagreement with me about that?

Only to the point that one cannot assume there is a predetermined manner in which to approach any base, not just the plate. One needs to consider the direction from which the ball will approach, where the defender is setting up to receive it and deviate from your path only when you can determine where the attempt of a tag will most likely occur.

Seems like it's still not seen the same way and understood the same way by everyone (nor is it called the same way by every umpire) - that's the part that's frustrating.

Our team was recently involved in a play where there was bases loaded. Routine grounder hit to SS. She makes the play home, catcher catches the ball for a force out at home.

Only problem - her back foot wasn't on the plate. The runner was called safe.

So now she's putting her entire foot on the bag (sort of like a 1b sometimes does)
Which is absurd, but that is another thread
that way if she steps toward the ball and her heel comes off, she's still touching the plate.

Problem...she's not a tiny girl. Not huge, but she's stocky. When she stands with that back foot on the plate, she's being told that the umpire may call her for obstruction because an umpire may feel that her being there on with a foot on the plate could cause a runner to slow down on the way in since they don't have the full plate available.

Do you feel this is right? Should a catcher have to stand completely clear of the plate then as the throw is coming in step back to get her foot on the plate and get the out? We don't teach 1b to do this or do you? Do you teach your 1b to stay off the base until the throw is made then step back to put her foot on the bag and then also expect her to make a stretch forward for the ball?

I guess this is the thread then. Absolutely. 1B should NEVER have their foot on the top of the base. On a routine play from the infield area, F3 should move to the base, heels near the corners of the base. Only when the throw is on the way should 1B begin their stretch and kick back with the toe of their rear foot as receiving the ball. Obviously, as in every other aspect of the game, adjustments and deviations are expected depending upon the play, but even then the base only need be touched with a toe keeping the foot and the ankle out of danger (hopefully).

AFA the OBS on your catcher, that would be an absurd call and an indication of either an umpire poorly trained or an OOO (over officious official). That is assuming the catcher was not blocking the runner's path.

However, those posting in this thread seem to be completely against changing directly or slowing down (some see slowing down as a necessary part of changing direction even if it's just a slight shift) saying that it's always best to just go straight in.

I was just trying to point out that IF you were to take a route in that outside direct line instead of in the straight direct line, you won't take much longer to get there and may lessen your chance of collision instead of just expecting the defender to be out of your way and hoping the obstruction rule keeps you safe from collision.

I think you are looking for trouble where there really is none. The OBS rule has only changed minimally. There have been very few differences in enforcement, just as there has been very little when there was a big change in the interference rules (at least in ASA).

I think running as you are suggesting is the smartest thing!!!! Run hard, assess the situation with the catcher and take the path that gives you the BEST chance at being safe at home, scoring the run, AND avoiding collision.

It bothers me that coaches think they should just teach their runners to run straight no matter what and let the obstruction rule take care of all collisions and safety issues.

MTR I would MUCH rather coaches be like you and teach runners to THINK on their feet and read what's going on in front of them before choosing their path to the base. Thank you for reassuring me that there are coaches out there that still want and teach their runners to think. That's another thing that was beginning to bother me about the rule being in place as it is...some coaches are banking on it to happen just that way and aren't bothering to teach their runners how to run smart and stay as safe as possible in case the defender isn't where she's supposed to be. If there have to be more rules to keep players safe...let's still teach them what they need to know just in case things don't work out exactly that way. Even so, not every collision can be avoided. Not all injuries can be stopped with rules alone. This is sports, there is always risk. But let's equip our players with what they need to know to play it as safely as possible. To me, always running straight for the bag isn't always the smartest nor the safest choice.[/QUOTE]

Well, bad news Stacie. :D I haven't coached for years, but I have been umpiring since 14 (1966).

You are right, too many coaches spend more time coaching a game and line up instead of actually teaching the players how to play. There are also too many coaches worried about the rules and how they can take advantage of them instead of just coaching the game and letting everything else take care of itself.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13