NSA Illegal Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Good morning all. Played at a 16u NSA turny this weekend in which the opposing team violated the substitution rule twice. The first time the coach was asked to leave the dugout. the very next inning it happened again during our last bat in OT the illegal player catches fly ball for the 3rd out. Umpires ended the game although we brought this to their attention saying it only resulted in another coach ejection. Can the game end on a ball caught by the illegal player? I'm confused.

Jun 22, 2008
Was it actually an illegal player or just an unreported substitution?

Not sure on NSA rules, but under ASA and FED, if an unreported substitute on defense makes a play, the offensive coach has the option of taking the result of the play, or the batter is returned to the plate with the original count. As long as the substitute is a legal sub, they are now officially in the game.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In NSA, I believe that an illegal player results in the ejection of the player, not the coach. But, I know that doesn't answer your question.

Jun 22, 2008
According to the NSA rule book, both the player and the coach should be ejected and if properly appealed prior to the next pitch, the offensive coach has the option of taking the result of the play or replaying the last pitch.

Jun 22, 2008
the catch was the 3rd out. can the game end with the unreported player catching a fly ball for our last out?

If the offensive coach chooses to take that option, then yes the game could end with the unreported player making the 3rd out. But, I dont know why any offensive coach would choose that option when they also have the option of replaying the last pitch.

the field umpires had no clue what to do. They called in the head umpire for the turny, the ruling was his. Our head coach was not given an option. This call cost our team a shot at the championship game.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
the field umpires had no clue what to do. They called in the head umpire for the turny, the ruling was his. Our head coach was not given an option. This call cost our team a shot at the championship game.

Because if they had reported the substitute beforehand then the batter wouldn't have hit in that direction?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321