NPF championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Really sad and very detrimental to the league. IMO this won't help. The media, owners and commish office let them (the players) down. My thoughts!
But really there should be two divisions, east and west...to bad the California money people won't step up and buy into the league too! Until that happens, things like this will go on.

Nov 14, 2011
I was excited to see the game scheduled on ESPN but was disappointed to see that the game was postponed. I turned the channel to watch other shows and tuned back in to hear that the championship was cancelled and that there would be no champion decided. The players have "other obligations" and could not play Monday.

What I see as a parent and as a huge fan of the game and a big supporter of NPF is that they let their fans down. To me it is obvious that some of the players care more about playing overseas than here in the U.S. where they were given the chance to become the player that they are. To the NPF organization, why would you schedule a championship game so close to the beginning of the next season (overseas). It is a lose/lose situation but the fans are the ones that have lost the most. Players are giving up on their fans that supported them when they were in college and now in the NPF.

For the NPF to expand they need to show the public and investors that they can be taken serious. It is evident by their actions this weekend that they are not, and I will be surprised to see them making it much longer. If you were a potential owner, would you want to invest in the NPF?

Oct 19, 2009
My family have attended the NPF games and enjoyed them very much. The players were always willing to sign balls, stop and talk to the fans at the games we attended.

I hope the NPF continues and grows, to give these young women and others a place to play after college.

Jan 25, 2011
Emily and I went to the racers last game before the playoffs against the Pride and it was awsome. Both teams were great to the fans, I had even some of the players ripping on me for wearing a Florida Gators shirt, wore that for Megan Bush, the player were joking with me of coarse about the shirt. Great group of women, as mother & fathers of softball players. We owe these players the oppertunity to play this sport for the next generation.IMO

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One suggestion would be to change the season, so that the players didn't have a plane to catch to Japan, the next day. You can't expect them to miss their flights to their real job.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The former Olympians decided to pass up team USA and try to help the pro league. People like Osterman are employed at universities, that are getting ready to start their fall season. Pitchers and catchers that are playing in Japan can make almost $100,000 a season. The pay in the pro league is too poor, to live on. I believe they still live in rooms at supporters homes and ride in buses.

Nov 14, 2011
Amy, I agree with your facts, but to call their time in the NFP league not a "real job" is inaccurate. Sure they get paid more to coach, give lessons, clinics, play in Japan, etc. That doesn't make their time playing in the NFP league a joke. That is until they decide to leave before they finish their season....

If they are making $100k to play in Japan, I hardly think they would be traveling in buses because of lack of funds.

IMO - They have cheated the league, their team, their owners and most importantly their fans on finishing a job they agreed to do. If I was a potential owner of a future NFP team, I would certainly think twice after what happened last weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA