USSSA points

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2018
This is more a curiosity on my part because I know these point in big scheme really are not that accurate as it only reflects for those that play a lot of USSSA tournaments...

So can anyone explain how these points are derived? From what I saw it's 10 points per pool play win, 15 points per bracket win. Now what I don't get is, the place points. Seen a tournament winner get less points than one eliminated earlier and a finalist get no place points even though they lost in championship game.

Just trying to make some sense of this. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2019
I can tell you a team that was proud of their #1 USSSA state ranking showed up at a tournament this weekend and got throttled. It's easy to pick and choose tournaments with low level competition to build your ranking. It was also nice seeing the parents get put in their place this past weekend. I guess my point is the rankings are pretty much useless.

Jun 20, 2015
the scarier part is certain areas of the country USSSA is all over and others it's not.

So, The Warthogs might have won like 5 legit ASA tourneys and have zero USSSA points,,,, and get into a lower level USSSA tourney and look out.

Jun 8, 2016
I can tell you a team that was proud of their #1 USSSA state ranking showed up at a tournament this weekend and got throttled. It's easy to pick and choose tournaments with low level competition to build your ranking. It was also nice seeing the parents get put in their place this past weekend. I guess my point is the rankings are pretty much useless.

Yeah he acknowledged that already...

This is more a curiosity on my part because I know these point in big scheme really are not that accurate as it only reflects for those that play a lot of USSSA tournaments...

Everybody that pays attention knows who is really good and who isn't in your area and as your kid gets older you should know that, for the most part, for teams across the country if your team plans on playing away from home.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018
I agree with that. And I'll also say if you're posting that usssa ranking it's just poor form.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
We used to track that and it was fun for the girls to see themselves as the #3 ranked team in the state (or whatever it was).

We all knew it had more to do with how many tourneys you played, but whatever.

Jun 20, 2015
saw a team couple years again, apparently all they played was USSSA events. lots of points #1 in their state... and watching them play it was like watching a very low level team.

Feb 24, 2022
I think now they do Points ranking and a power ranking. No ideal how they come up with power ranking.
Yes, points are just a function of the number of tournaments you play, but Power Rankings are more "accurate" because it weighs the quality of teams that you play/beat. For example, you would get more "power" credit as a B team beating an A team. Or, as an A team, beating A teams. I find the rankings do help - not for any team to actually say, "We're the #1 team!", but in entering/scheduling tournaments you can get a feel for the level of competition. Again, not perfect, but better than nothing.