Not driving straight to plate-toe turning to the right

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
The power push is a great training tool, but if you haven't already bought it you can save yourself some money: just put a brick next to her foot. Does the same thing. If one doesn't work, sandwich her foot between two.

The reason the foot turns during the load is because when the legs are weak, the knee naturally wants to collapse inward. The foot pivots out to allow the knee to point straight naturally. Fixing the foot will fix the symptom, and this is definitely necessary because it has probably become habit at this point... but it will not fix the root problem. She probably needs to strengthen her legs too. Here's a video explaining it better.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Despite what everyone thinks here, I will be the one to agains swim upstream from the consensus.

If you are having speed AND accuracy issues, you have a timing problem that will not be caused by the pivot foot nor be helped by adjusting the angle of the pivot foot.

Either;
1 The stride foot angle at LFT is not consistent.
2 The stride length is not consistent.
3 The angle of the hips at LFT is not consistent.
4 The position of the ball in the circle at lft is not correct.

I would suspect that number 4 is your culprit.

It feels more natural to turn the pivot foot a little closer to the angle of the hips at lft. If it wasnt the natural thing to do, why would someone want or need a wooden contraption to keep your pivot foot at a different angle?

Take a close look at the other things I mentioned.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
There are some pitchers whose hips get so open they are pointed towards 3B. They get open sooner and it starts at the pivot foot.

Besides, some people have that natural need to angle the foot to drive. Like some runners, long jumpers, gymnasts, etc

May 31, 2011
Despite what everyone thinks here, I will be the one to agains swim upstream from the consensus.

If you are having speed AND accuracy issues, you have a timing problem that will not be caused by the pivot foot nor be helped by adjusting the angle of the pivot foot.

Either;
1 The stride foot angle at LFT is not consistent.
2 The stride length is not consistent.
3 The angle of the hips at LFT is not consistent.
4 The position of the ball in the circle at lft is not correct.

I would suspect that number 4 is your culprit.

It feels more natural to turn the pivot foot a little closer to the angle of the hips at lft. If it wasnt the natural thing to do, why would someone want or need a wooden contraption to keep your pivot foot at a different angle?

Take a close look at the other things I mentioned.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure we have some number 4 going on...that has been one we've battled for a while. Actually, I'm trying to compare what I see her do with top level pitchers at all levels, and trust me when I say, her stride foot is moving too much. We went to the SEC tournament last week and saw a lot of great pitchers. None of them move their foot like my DD when pushing off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan