Not driving straight to plate-toe turning to the right

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2011
DDs not driving straight to the catcher. Last game it was bad...she looked very off balance and her control suffered. She would thow a couple low than adjust and be high. We then get a few errors behind her, and as you all know, this then gets into the head creating the snowball effect.

I have ordered the Power Push from the Hillhouse website. I actually watched Fico from LSU warming up with a homemade version last week at the SEC tournament. Have any of you tried this and if so, will it help? If not, what are some other good drills to help? If she's off balanced, there is no way she'll throw cosistently.

Apr 13, 2013
A couple years ago DD would mark the power line on the field when she pitched. She would also mark the approximate distance she should be landing her lead foot.

She very seldom looked down but if she started going sideways she would to make sure at least that part was OK.

Dec 20, 2012
A couple years ago DD would mark the power line on the field when she pitched. She would also mark the approximate distance she should be landing her lead foot.

She very seldom looked down but if she started going sideways she would to make sure at least that part was OK.

That's a really good practice. Lisa Fernandez told us she did it every inning and remark as needed. Good to do especially during warm ups, can check position after every pitch and make corrections.

Oct 22, 2009
This is also good for young ones just stating to throw the change-up in games. Reminds them to keep pushing out on the change-up and try and match the fastball.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Does her stride foot plant inline with the target (on the powerline?) What is the approximate angle of her stride foot at plant? Do you have any up close video you can upload from the side and maybe the back or front?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
She is turning her pivot foot correct? How much? This has been talked about often here and i believe that most feel some turn is absolutely fine. The idea that she is going to keep it perfectly straight and come over all her toes is pretty difficult. I know this was debated recently but i'm not good at finding the links. During that debate somebody also posted plans on make your own power push. They work okay I guess it does give some feed back if turning too far? I'll let other's speak more about those things. I have the plans if you want me to email them to you.

May 31, 2011
Does her stride foot plant inline with the target (on the powerline?) What is the approximate angle of her stride foot at plant? Do you have any up close video you can upload from the side and maybe the back or front?

I don't have any video right now. I'd say a little less than 45 degrees....if the catcher is at 12 o'clock, her foot probably points at 2.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm not fond of mechanical gadgets or drills to force a change in isolation of other aspects of form. I prefer cues like focusing on keeping the drive side knee pointed to the target depending on the issue. Video would be best.

May 31, 2011
She is turning her pivot foot correct? How much? This has been talked about often here and i believe that most feel some turn is absolutely fine. The idea that she is going to keep it perfectly straight and come over all her toes is pretty difficult. I know this was debated recently but i'm not good at finding the links. During that debate somebody also posted plans on make your own power push. They work okay I guess it does give some feed back if turning too far? I'll let other's speak more about those things. I have the plans if you want me to email them to you.

Yes, turning her pivot foot. It is enough that I believe it is impacting her accuracy and speed. I know when I prompt her during practice she will correct and almost always throws a harder accurate pitch.

We went to the SEC tournament last week, and one thing I asked her to watch was the pitcher's drive foot. Pretty much all of them drove straight to the catcher. I'm going to use the Hanson Principle and try to get her driving straighter. I can't see how it can hurt anything. She was off balanced at the game too...I know that was hurting her accuracy. The balance issue was probably due to heel drag...not sure.

We're going to try the Power Push. LSU's Fico warmed up with one, so I figure it's at least worth a try.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
If I had a choice I would prefer that the drag foot comes straight off but I wouldn't consider this an absolute. I have watched college pitchers and I have seen it done both ways.

One thought to consider is that in order to get up on the tip of your cleat if you have cheap cleats it's going to be hard to do. Try it yourself in tennis shoes, it's almost impossible (for me anyways).

Ringor cleats are a little stiffer and may help you out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd