Not all swings are the same

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Not all conservation of energy is the same. The better the conservation, the better the swing.

Some will leave the ground early. Some will launch the barrel early. Some will open up to early.

The key is to do less while creating more. Conservation of energy.

Happy Holidays Pattar.
Just nitpicking with your use of the phrase conservation of energy, e.g. you cannot just use that phrase to describe a good swing. Conservation is conservation. All swings conserve energy just like all swings conserve mass and satisfy balance of linear and angular momentum. In other words the fundamental laws of a continuum apply to all swings. If you want explain things mathematically, to determine the best swing mechanics for a given pitch, one would have to solve a optimization problem which would use the optimum batted ball statistics (exit velocity, spin rate/axes and launch angle) as the goal and satisfaction of the fundamental laws of a continuum as a constraint (along with a time constraint). Good luck with that. Luckily the human body is amazing and some people are able to figure that out pretty well (with the help of their instructors in some cases..or despite the help of their instructors :LOL: ) without the use of continuum mechanics :)

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
So can someone tell me where all the leaks of energy happen in a swing as to not have optimal conservation of energy? In pitching i always feel there are specific areas like bend in elbow, resisting front side on landing, brush interference, timing of the arm around the circle.

I never seem to get that in the hitting forum.

Should front leg push back? should it get to straight? when? at contact? before contact?

Should hands be tight to shoulder? should they be back and left behind a little during the swing? should they be at shoulder level (assuming torso tilt matches plane of pitch)

Should barrel be tipped and ripped? is that a better start than a neck slot? I assume more power from a tip and rip vs neck slot. isn't there science that can show that?

Should the barrel lag at all and match the hand speed at any time during swing? or should wrists always be rigid to keep the barrel perpendicular to hands? Does barrel 'whip' to ball from lag, or is it a rigid rotational swing with 'no release?'

these and more would be the questions i have. I would think that everyone knows the more energy you put to the ball the more powerful the swing. So maybe there are a couple different questions.

How to make a powerful swing and then how to be adjustable in the powerful swing. what changes in a powerful swing to become adjustable to pitches?

Maybe i am naive in thinking there are answers to these questions.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Just nitpicking with your use of the phrase conservation of energy, e.g. you cannot just use that phrase to describe a good swing. Conservation is conservation. All swings conserve energy just like all swings conserve mass and satisfy balance of linear and angular momentum. In other words the fundamental laws of a continuum apply to all swings. If you want explain things mathematically, to determine the best swing mechanics for a given pitch, one would have to solve a optimization problem which would use the batted ball output statistics (exit velocity, spin rate/axes and launch angle) as the goal and satisfaction of the fundamental laws of a continuum as a constraint (along with a time constraint). Good luck with that. Luckily the human body is amazing and some people are able to figure that out without the use of continuum mechanics :)

Yeah I know.😝 I’m using it in the practical sense. ‘Practical’ and ‘quantum’ anything doesn’t go together.

But in the grand scheme of things, the phrase definitely plays in both the practical and theoretical sense.. If the goal is to put all available energy into the ball while being as short and direct as possible. Because the the constraints of softball/baseball.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah I know.😝 I’m using it in the practical sense. ‘Practical’ and ‘quantum’ anything doesn’t go together.
Continuum...continuum mechanics and quantum mechanics are two different things entirely except for the fact that both deal with mechanics. My qualm is with the phrase "best conservation". Putting an adjective in front of conservation makes no sense... ;) If instead you said a swing which "best uses the conservation laws" or something like that it would make more sense.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
So can someone tell me where all the leaks of energy happen in a swing as to not have optimal conservation of energy? In pitching i always feel there are specific areas like bend in elbow, resisting front side on landing, brush interference, timing of the arm around the circle.
The biggest difference between pitching and hitting is that there is no timing aspect for a pitcher. The timing aspect in hitting is why you see so many different styles of hitting (no stride, leg kick, stride with no leg kick, etc). You don't really see that in pitching. Regardless of the style, most good hitters are in a similar position at launch. The stuff that goes on after launch is typically a result of what was done upstream. Concentrate on getting to a good position at launch and then launching the barrel properly and you will be 95% of the way there imo.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Continuum...continuum mechanics and quantum mechanics are two different things entirely except for the fact that both deal with mechanics. My qualm is with the phrase "best conservation". Putting an adjective in front of conservation makes no sense... ;) If instead you said a swing which "best uses the conservation laws" or something like that it would make more sense.

To you. Everyone gets the point. Efficiency. Yes I’m describing the ‘best’ way to conserve energy and be the most efficient.

In the most primitive way. The most simple way. And actually the most practical way...

The barrel being thrown behind creating a longer route with more speed or jumping at the ball or yanking into your back or opening too soon or whatever is not conservation of energy, it’s using the energy to early. So those models are not conserving anything. They are leaking/using it too early. The term is being used in the practical sense as compared to the other ‘ways’ to do it.

Jun 8, 2016
I thought you were on winter break right now ?
I am..what does that have to do with anything? Were you hoping I would leave you along or something...Never!! (insert evil laugh)
Just think of this as you learning about continuum mechanics for free..you are welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles