Not all swings are the same

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I've said this to you this before I think. As athletes age do they forget how to swing the bat? No, the biggest issue is that they lose a bit of explosiveness.

From

"Ballplayers first notice it in the short, explosive moments. "To get to a 97 mph fastball that's up in the zone, you know you can get it there," 31-year-old veteran catcher Caleb Joseph says. "It just isn't as readily available anymore. When you're 22, it's always on. You're like, 'Do I need to get a lighter bat? Is this how it's gonna be?' "

He laughs, then pauses, deciding which kind of story he's telling. "I went down an inch this year. I'm still hitting .150."

Is it that he's not as strong? That his brain doesn't pick up the pitch as fast? It could be, but it could also be that the nervous system moves slightly slower as we age, says Corey Dawkins of Baseball Injury Consultants. Joseph could identify the pitch just as quickly, decide to swing just as confidently, swing just as powerfully as he ever did -- but the signal from brain to muscles takes a fraction of a microsecond longer to travel."

Your point here is exactly my point. You lose explosiveness with injuries and age etc. so why rely on that? Why not rely on technique? Your ‘explosiveness’ just enhances your technique. Not the other way around.

Albert is STILL a productive pro. Why do you think that is? I think we both know that athleticism and explosiveness doesn’t really play for very long in the pros right? So the HOFers that played passed their primes changed their swings as they got older? This is why we copy these guys. If we were copying explosiveness we would all be PTs. Technique technique technique. Conservation of energy P.

Training hitting is a dynamic SKILL acquisition thing. Not an ‘explosive’ endeavor. Remember the avg. MLB bat speed is 69 mph.

Why do you think Mayweather Jr. is who he is.

All the greats in every sport are masters at conserving energy.

He who does the least to create the most lives the longest.

Jun 8, 2016
Your point here is exactly my point. You lose explosiveness with injuries and age etc. so why rely on that? Why not rely on technique? Your ‘explosiveness’ just enhances your technique. Not the other way around.

Albert is STILL a productive pro. Why do you think that is? I think we both know that athleticism and explosiveness doesn’t really play for very long in the pros right? So the HOFers that played passed their primes changed their swings as they got older? This is why we copy these guys. If we were copying explosiveness we would all be PTs. Technique technique technique. Conservation of energy P.

Training hitting is a dynamic SKILL acquisition thing. Not an ‘explosive’ endeavor. Remember the avg. MLB bat speed is 69 mph.

Why do you think Mayweather Jr. is who he is.

All the greats in every sport are masters at conserving energy.

He who does the least to create the most lives the longest.
Pujols hit .359 at age 23 and .244 at age 39. Seems to me explosiveness is a big factor in that unless you think Albert forgot how to hit in those 16 years...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think there has been and still are some smoother swingers in MLB. They tend to be lefties. Not sure why. Think Will Clark. But explosiveness seems to rule.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Pujols hit .359 at age 23 and .244 at age 39. Seems to me explosiveness is a big factor in that unless you think Albert forgot how to hit in those 16 years...

He is STILL a productive pro. Because of his technique. Does he not still not hit the ball hard? I believe he ranks in the tops in hard hit percentage. That would be the explosive stat your looking for. The shift and his body has betrayed him. Not his reaction time. 39 with 23 and 93? Lives longer.

With your perspective we shouldn’t train technique we should train explosiveness. But these guys use technique. Their ‘explosiveness’ which is just energy conserved enhances them.

Your methods would lead to no more HOFers. Just guys that play until they are 30. Making more sense in your 1 track mind yet?

Pattar, it’s the same reason why you or I didn’t make it. We were explosive, we lacked technique. Eventually or maybe already, you have realized your argument is subjective at best.

Jun 8, 2016
Eventually or maybe already, you have realized your argument is subjective at best.
As is yours, regardless if you say you are just following what some of the pros say.

More explosiveness means less time between decision to swing and actual launch and from launch to contact. The latter may be subjective, but based upon the article definition of explosiveness, the former is not. Both of these give more time to recognize the pitch location/speed which result in better percentage of good contact and a better average.

You and I didn't make it due to a combination of things which include mechanics but also includes overall athleticism (which includes explosiveness). For me it was more mechanics I agree (although my biggest issue was my head..go figure), I was plenty explosive.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
All of this hitting discussion is subjective in the true sense of the word. There is no way to prove, one way or the other, whether or not
what somebody says is correct. Of course if everybody took that view there would be a lot less arguing and the place would not nearly be as much fun :LOL:

What I was arguing about above, however, was not subjective. It was about the use of a phrase which is well defined (and proven through experiment) in mathematics/physics. Typically if I post something which I believe is subjective, I will preface it with an IMO... ;)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

More looks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee