Not all swings are the same

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

The hands and barrel paths aren't the same for all hitters. I'll break down this and other swings.

BTW, I love the lowerbody/hips in this swing, skips the back foot forward a few inches.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Great clip! The acceleration of the barrel behind the shoulder is fantastic. Good look at the shoulders and hips turning back together.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Great clip! The acceleration of the barrel behind the shoulder is fantastic. Good look at the shoulders and hips turning back together.

The hips pop from creating good leverage through the back foot or back heel, and hitting against the front leg.

Cabrera doesn't always get full rotation, he does on this swing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The hips pop from creating good leverage through the back foot or back heel, and hitting against the front leg.

Cabrera doesn't always get full rotation, he does on this swing.

Notice how tight the turn is. That’s what’s ‘special’ as some gurus like to put it. Doing less while creating more. That’s the secret sauce. Getting the turn to be reactionary is the goal.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Dave Hudgens a long time ago explained swinging in this manner, or to have this hand and barrel path. He said the barrel stayed above the knob in the approach as the knob reached (aligned) the front hip. He called it maintaining a good barrel angle or path. In this approach, the barrel stays up as the knob reaches the front hip (aligns with the front hip). He said this created a short swing, where you are short to the ball. Also that the barrel stayed up as the hands moved forward in-front of the back shoulder.

Now, I realize this is a HR derby swing and he is hitting a high pitch and more then likely looking for a high pitch. Also the pitch is more then likely in as well, so the hands might be getting forward sooner. I also realize the Cabrera doesn't always have the hands this high above the shoulder level as the back elbow lowers.

Dave Hudgens demonstrated this hand and barrel path. In this path he said you don't start to swing up behind or lower the barrel behind you and that swinging up happens out front. Not behind you.

Jul 31, 2019
One thing that stands out is how long his front leg stays bent. I see so many hitters that the leg straightens early, and their top half separates from the bottom.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
All swings, bad or good, conserve energy. Have a nice holiday @Work=wins :)

Not all conservation of energy is the same. The better the conservation, the better the swing.

Some will leave the ground early. Some will launch the barrel early. Some will open up to early.

The key is to do less while creating more. Conservation of energy.

Happy Holidays Pattar.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse