Not all swings are the same

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Was that for me or @Work=wins ? I was the one who brought up Pujols. If it was for me please explain why using him as
an example of a hitter losing explosiveness as he ages was a bad idea.

I think because of the perception attached to him that he is five years older than he claims? Or just a sour tate of his lack of production as an Angel overall.

Jun 8, 2016
I think because of the perception attached to him that he is five years older than he claims? Or just a sour tate of his lack of production as an Angel overall.
Ok, switch my age numbers from 23 to 28 and 39 to 44...point remains the same ;)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
at the endpoint of this video, are the hands activating to bring the barrel forward or is it more the shoulder rotation?

This is common with HR derby swings, there is an exaggeration of the whip action. The bat lag portion helps setup the cracking of the whip. The hands are moving forward during the bat lag, a pulling of the hands/barrel forward. How much is just created with the shoulders? I don't know, I only know that they exaggerate the whip action in HR derby swings.

The shoulders are pulling the hands/barrel. They are affected, shoulders, of the cracking of the whip along with the hands/barrel.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
This is common with HR derby swings, there is an exaggeration of the whip action. The bat lag portion helps setup the cracking of the whip. The hands are moving forward during the bat lag, a pulling of the hands/barrel forward.

The shoulders are pulling the hands/barrel. They are affected, shoulders, of the cracking of the whip along with the hands/barrel.
This swing from Miggy kind of reminds me of some of the swings you see from HL slowpitch players (minus the huge hand pump many of them have)...Not as tight of a launch from Miggy since time isn't really a constraint.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This swing from Miggy kind of reminds me of some of the swings you see from HL slowpitch players (minus the huge hand pump many of them have)...

Yeah, it's not just the hands. the lowerbody/hips are being exaggerated as well. The backside and the frontside resistance. He really makes the hip pop in this swing.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, it's not just the hands. the lowerbody/hips are being exaggerated as well. The backside and the frontside resistance. He really makes the hip pop in this swing.
Turn isn't as tight, no time constraint..

Sep 17, 2009
I don't agree about the home run derby swings. Miggy is using his everyday swing but adding/deepening stretch to enhance bat whip while eliminating some adjustability because he's being thrown meatballs with no called strikes. But his swing is largely the same. The slow-pitch guy is muscling up an arm/chest push swing and taking advantage of a super-hot bat. Fundamentally two different swings. IMO.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Carew and Clark have a similar swing and barrel paths. They both have a deep hand pivot point. There is no swinging down in their swings. They have different swings then Cabrera. Some might say Carew and Clark are arm barring with the lead arm.

edit: I don't like the term hand pivot point, I like the rotational point of the hands.

Last edited: