Northwestern loses at NLRB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
So give the athletes very little so the NCAA, universities, and corporate America can make billions off of them. You see anything wrong with that picture?
Who is really making the money? Most of corporate America is supplying the money via advertising and sponsorships. The television networks are paying out huge sums of money for the broadcast rights. The NCAA and universities are not for profit, so they're spending whatever they make. A small portion of the coaches are getting rich, but that's a tiny piece of the overall pie.

Don't get me wrong, I've felt for a long time that the elite college football and men's basketball programs had outgrown the NCAA model and those ~64 programs per sport should form a new semi-pro tier with looser rules. I also recognize that a lot of the popularity of college sports is based on affinity with schools and the athletes are somewhat interchangeable.

If CAPA was sincere about their stated goals, they would represent all student-athletes instead of just football and basketball.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2013
According to the IRS, any portion of a scholarship that is on account of services provided becomes taxable.

If they are considered employees, would not all of it be considered on account of a service provided?

And if a few sports are employees, maybe all of them are?

If schools give into demands, that is all less money for scholarships for non revenue sports and academic scholarships.

Mar 26, 2013
Better yet, have the NFL and NBA pay the players on something like a minor league arrangement. That keeps player compensation with the professionals and out of the colleges and recruiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild