Non-Softball - Email from HC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2012
I'm definitely generalizing, not all are this way.
But you and I both know that there are far less good coaches than bad ones.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm definitely generalizing, not all are this way.
But you and I both know that there are far less good coaches than bad ones.

There are good and bad coaches in every league.

Our rec league last year had a guy who threw only 2 pitchers all season. Probably would have thrown only one if he could but we have a 4 inning limit on pitching in the rec league games at that age to give other girls a chance. And had 4 or 5 girls who saw maybe 4 or 5 innings all season long in the infield. Of course his team went 14-0 in the regular season as he had 2 travel pitchers and a mostly travel infield. But I can tell you every other team in the league was thrilled when the coach who rotated all his players all year long and used 5 or 6 pitchers beat them 2 games straight for the championship in our double elimination tournament.

Mar 14, 2012
That coach is a joke. Coaches like that really piss me off. It's 10u rec, not the freakin pro's. So basically, he is going to punish the players that miss practice because they play another sport? At that age, kids should be playing other sports. Any coach that tries to force kids to quit other sports has no business coaching. Let them be kids.
I coach a rec baseball team and the reality is that the top players become top players because they put in extra work on their own (or with their parents). I would like to think that I am the best coach in the world, but honestly, the two hours a week they spend with me at practice really doesn't amount to much. If I can't overcome players missing practice sometimes, then I'm not much of a coach am I?
As a coach you have two choices.
1) You can be the coach that instills a love of the game and be admired by your former players.
or
2) You can be the jackass coach that has to win at all cost in order to satisfy your ego and cause many of your players to quit the sport early.

Feb 7, 2013
I don't like his message but at least he is transparent. Most coaches will say one thing and do another. The parents can't say they weren't forewarned. IMO, this guy should not be coaching youth rec sports. Hopefully this email gets forwarded to the league president.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
When I did coach Rec. SB, I made a point to not only give innings equal, but kept the AB's real close as well. I rotated positions as much as possible. There were a few girls that were so scared of the ball, I would only play them at 2B when playing infield. I don't think you should put a kid in a position that they are sure to fail at. I would still practice these girls at different positions throughout the year and most of the time, they were ready before the season ended to try other positions.

My one exception was our 1st year in team pitch. I only had one girl that wanted to catch. 1 other that would and the rest wouldn't at all. The girl that volunteered got to play as much as she wanted the whole year. I told the other parents after the first 2-3 practices that I would be doing this. That girl earned her PT.