Non-Softball - Email from HC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
Last night my friend forwarded me the below Email asking for an opinion. The Email was sent to all the parents on a 10U Rec. basketball team. I changed some names but this what they sent to all the parents on their Team last night.

How did this guy last 7 years? I will let you know the outcome if any, it is hard to make this stuff up.

Any opinions?

===================

Dear Parents,

In the interest of full disclosure, I want to inform you of how I anticipate the next week to transpire. Despite what the Park District may claim, I consider the Bobcats MY team, not yours or the community's. And my plan is to do all I can as a coach to put this team in a position to win now as well as later in life. Toward that end, I will throw the matrix of players aside as of this weekend. Our goal is to win the league. I will favor two sets of boys: 1) those who have attended practice, and 2) those who have been receptive to my coaching (as dictatorial as it tends to be). This will certainly affect the "hockey players" who have been part-time basketball players. You may complain that you spent the same amount of money as the other parents. The difference in my mind is the amount of energy, time and spirit invested by my players at practice and games on a weekly basis. If you want to complain to (the commish), who is copied on this email, you're too late. This is it. I'm the coach and (the commish) can't replace me with one week to go. That being said, I believe that I've always strived to create a team environment regardless of talent. Ask (the commish); we've had some meager years. All of your boys will receive a beautiful trophy, as all of my teams have the past 7 years, on my dime. I love this experience, but I want it to be real, not coddled. In my world, the boys run suicides, not ladders. A miss is a miss. A loss is a loss. And when you win, it feels a hell of a lot better than losing. I have no idea how we'll do next week, but I will put the boys on the floor and coach them as best as I know how in order to win. Frankly, why else play?

Your sons' coach,

Bob

Jul 26, 2010
Sounds like this guy has some mommy issues. He could have done what he wanted without all the teenage drama queen nonsense or the email. What a schmuck.

-W

Aug 6, 2013
IMHO - There was no need to send this email, All it did was open himself up for criticism.

He should have coached this way throughout the season. This is 10U not Tee-Tots (or whatever the basketball equivalent of Tee-Tot's is)
He didn't say he wouldn't play the others he said he would favor those who worked. That makes perfect sense. Favor the ones who basketball will be their primary sport.

I think you should always favor the player that show up in work over the player who don't - Not sure I see the issue.

If the letter was meant to preemptive against criticism from the hockey moms I'm sure it won't work.

Witness the responses here.

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
All of your boys will receive a beautiful trophy, as all of my teams have the past 7 years, on my dime. I love this experience, but I want it to be real, not coddled. In my world, the boys run suicides, not ladders. A miss is a miss. A loss is a loss. And when you win, it feels a hell of a lot better than losing.

So quit coddling them with participation trophy's. Anyone else see the irony here? Funny stuff thanks for sharing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I assumed he meant playing time.

I will find out.

Wondered if it's a league-mandated thing that ensures that playing time is evenly distributed. Or whether it's something the coach came up with to distribute playing time evenly, until the playoffs.

Sounds pretty interesting. Would have to know about the situation to judge it. When my DD was 10, she played in an upward basketball league where playing time was made equal. But you still tried to win. You just had to do it in the context of even playing time. Not much different than the idea that all 10 get to bat in softball. If it's the bottom of the last inning, down by 2, and your bottom three are up, you just hope they come through. Got no problem w/ that in youth/rec basketball at the younger levels.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
SS
He is not acting like a female teenager (they behave far better) and I am not sure mommy has anything to do it either (what's that about?). He is acting like a typical Type A, egomaniac, live-through-kids sports, male adult coach. They get in there because no one else volunteers or just happens not to be as loud as he is. It is hard to get rid of them. If you have any ideas how, I would love to hear them.

Have we ever met?

The problem here is much deeper than we might realize. I've known a lot of guys who volunteer their time to coach and sometimes, they just get to the end of their rope. For whatever reason, this guy is there. He needs to step back some. BTW, I agree that if you aren't practicing then you aren't playing.

Jun 11, 2013
It almost seems like this guy needs that app that makes you verify you haven't had too many drinks before sending something out.
Ironically I agree with much of what he is saying. Especially the practice to play part. I know kids play many sports, but if you choose to , you should know that you might lose some PT on some of them. My real question for all that subscribe to this theory is if you are a SB coach and the kids that misses all the practices throws 55 MPH at 12U does that apply :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1