Non-Softball - Email from HC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
I think if this were my kid I'd be saying the rest of the season is over... buh bye. My kid has played for this type of coach twice now, and I say never again.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It almost seems like this guy needs that app that makes you verify you haven't had too many drinks before sending something out.
Ironically I agree with much of what he is saying. Especially the practice to play part. I know kids play many sports, but if you choose to , you should know that you might lose some PT on some of them. My real question for all that subscribe to this theory is if you are a SB coach and the kids that misses all the practices throws 55 MPH at 12U does that apply :)

No, unless I have a pitcher who throws 56 MPH.:p

Mar 26, 2013
Ironically I agree with much of what he is saying. Especially the practice to play part. I know kids play many sports, but if you choose to , you should know that you might lose some PT on some of them. My real question for all that subscribe to this theory is if you are a SB coach and the kids that misses all the practices throws 55 MPH at 12U does that apply :)
I was thinking along the same lines. If that coach adheres strictly to what he wrote, it's all about 'citizenship' rather than ability. Amy may be on to something and this policy is justification for playing his own kid above better players.

If the kids missing practices and not following his coaching are weak players, then they're not entitled to equal playing time because they're not holding up their end of the bargain.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
They are 9 years old. They can't drive. It is rec ball.
This coach needs to get over himself.
When my sons were 9, they were playing on 1/2 a court, with 8 foot baskets. And the scores would be like 10-6.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
...but seriously folks. One line at the beginning of the season covers this better than a tome at the end:
"Practice attendance will directly affect playing time." Not sure at 10U it's realistic, but hey put it out there early.

Feb 3, 2011
Meanwhile, every coach in our town league just received this email:

Hello Coaches,

Over the last couple of weeks we’ve seen some very lopsided scores. We understand this occasionally happens in any sport you may be a part of, but we all need to keep in perspective that we are working with children 6-14 years old, as well as the overall goal of the league of “…creating a positive atmosphere of Learning and Fun…” as was discussed at the Coaches Meeting and is listed in the League Handbook. This is also the commitment you made when signing the Coach’s Code of Conduct Form, supporting good sportsmanship in victory and defeat. There is no reason a team should be winning by 30+ points in a game. There are many ways to control the pace and scoring of a game, to keep it within a respectable score and to show good sportsmanship. Below are some of the simple strategies to keep a game competitive while still trying to maintain a lead.

· No Fast Breaks – If your team gets a defensive rebound, have the rebounder or point guard hold the ball until the entire defense gets back into position.

· 5 Passes – Each offensive possession, require your players to make 5 passes before taking a shot.

· Player Positions – Let kids try positions they have not tried before. Let a player who has never played point guard before bring the ball up and start the play.

· Let Everyone Score – Try to get players who normally do not score, the opportunity to get an open shot at the basket.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not believe the coach in the OP would approve of this message.

Jan 23, 2014
If I sign my kids up for a RECREATIONAL league I expect that all players will be given equal playing time. You should always play to win,but by utilizing every player on the team. Starters and prime positions could be determined by those who show up to practice, but that is it. I only allow my kids one sport at a time,but others are able to cart their kids to as many activities as they can handle. I have 4 kids, a husband who works too much and no support system. If big sis has a travel softball tournament little sis is probably missing rec soccer practice. Luckily the other 2 or too young for sports. . Competitive leagues are available in every sport for coaches and parents who do not agree with this philosophy of equal time for all.

Jun 29, 2013
Wow. Guess I look at things differently, as my biggest concern is trying to tell my 8u players' parents not to worry if they have other commitments, convince them that my philosophy (nobody improves just by watching someone else play a position) will work, that I'm more concerned with their daughters' playing on a team where they belong as opposed to my little team, and that my job is to put them in positions to succeed and give everyone an opportunity (some merit different positions, but that's another story) are on my agenda.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors