NFHS Courtesy Runner Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Digging up an old thread for a clarification I have not been able to find...

If Sally is used as the CR for the P in the first inning, is Sally tied to the P for the entire game, or can Sally be used as a CR for the C in a later inning?
Which rule set? Because the answer is normally, but not for all sanctions.

May 29, 2015
NFHS

Rule 8 Batter-Runner and Runner
Section 9 Courtesy Runner
Article 1.
The team at bat may use a courtesy runner for the pitcher and/or the catcher at any time. Neither the pitcher nor the catcher will be required to leave the game under such circumstances. The same courtesy runner may not run for both the pitcher and the catcher any time during the game.

My comment: As is all too common, the verbiage on that is awkward and sometimes misinterpreted.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
As above, but remember that if P moves to C (or vice versa) they will need a NEW CR. As the CR is tied to the POSITION and not the PLAYER.

May 29, 2015
Which leads me back to my suggestion ... CRs should be designated on the starting lineup. CRs are not a substitution, so you don't need to fix any substitution rules.

CRC -- #4, Little, Suzy
CRP -- #99, Smalls, Sophie

Allow a coach to put an eligible new player in that slot at anytime; however once a player comes out they cannot go back in as a designated CR (they would still substitution privileges).

Oct 24, 2010
Which leads me back to my suggestion ... CRs should be designated on the starting lineup. CRs are not a substitution, so you don't need to fix any substitution rules.

CRC -- #4, Little, Suzy

Allow a coach to put an eligible new player in that slot at anytime; however once a player comes out they cannot go back in as a designated CR (they would still substitution privileges).

Um, is there is a good reason for such a change? Is there a courtesy runner rule that needs fixing?

Effectively, courtesy runners are designated on the starting lineup, that is, all the substitutes listed and any that are added during the game subject to rule 8-9. The coach might want to use a rotation of courtesy runners for his pitcher or catcher but the suggestion further restricts who may run.

Oct 11, 2018

CRC -- #4, Little, Suzy

Seems like an unnecessary and undesirable suggestion that would limit options. Early in game all subs are available as CR options. Late in game you are limited to those subs who have still not entered the game. So your available options change throughout the game but I don't see any reason to constrain your options. The rule seems pretty simple and consistent across codes.

May 29, 2015
Rule-wise, no. There is no current CR rule that needs wholesale changing (except maybe USA's "screw it, do what you want" rule -- or maybe that is the answer!). The rule isn't broken, the execution is.

I am taking the unfortunate position of trying to legislate behavior to make the game run smoother (and faster). The game is full of those instances (keep one foot in the box, batter must be ready in 10 seconds, pitcher must deliver the pitch within 20 seconds, 60 seconds between innings, etc.).

I feel we waste to much time and make CRs more complicated than we need to. I feel my suggestion is a way to fix that. It isn't affecting eligibility (except maybe my suggestion of no "CR re-entry" which I am OK with dropping); it is just making sure the coach and players know ahead of time who the CR will be (if used) and having them ready.

@Crabby_Bob I didn't mean designate eligible courtesy runners ... I mean a slot on the line-up designating specifically WHO is the CR for the pitcher and WHO is the CR for the catcher (basically no different than the DP/Flex listing).

As an umpire, under "normal" CR rules, I write "CR1" or "CR2" next to the sub when they are entered so that I can track it. Again, my suggestion is to speed up the game because we are bogging it down with an intended speed up rule. It isn't about me tracking, it is about eliminating the coach running through his whole lineup card asking me "Can she run? How about her? OK, get your helmet. Oh wait, she's in the bathroom ... and somebody else has her helmet."

May 29, 2015
Seems like an unnecessary and undesirable suggestion that would limit options. Early in game all subs are available as CR options. Late in game you are limited to those subs who have still not entered the game. So your available options change throughout the game but I don't see any reason to constrain your options. The rule seems pretty simple and consistent across codes.

Again, my suggestion does NOT constrain any options (except the re-entry part, but I am not attached to that) ... it just puts players in a designated line-up spot so they are ready to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi