NFHS Courtesy Runner Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
In “straight” rules, it allows you to get some more players involved. In “bat the roster” tournaments that is negated.

I’m like @marriard — during summer/fall ball I typically cover it in my plate meeting because it is something that changes from tournament to tournament. When I do, it isn’t a question. It is ”If you chose to use a courtesy runner, you can use (insert rule of the week here).” Then we are on to the next point.

Now, if we are talking IHSA/IESA (NFHS), then no, I don’t cover it in my plate meeting because it doesn’t change.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I consider Courtesy Runner in this since there are 5 or 6 sanctions locally all with somewhat different CR rules and teams go between them regularly.
5 or 6 sanctions locally?? How does that happen? I can't even name 5 or 6 sanctions in my state, let alone locally.

And do they all really have unique CR rules? I work USA Softball and NFHS here, and I'm pretty sure their CR rules are the same except for the disqualification in USA versus bench restriction in NFHS. But other than that, it's pretty much the same rule.

USSSA right now is 'last completed at-bat' and since it not my job to keep the book I can easily miss them putting the wrong player out there. Rather just cover it at the plate and then if something happens we have the "We covered this specifically at the plate meeting" answer for a coach.
I know USSSA uses the LCAB only in non-elite play (whatever that means; I don't do USSSA ball here), and they also restrict a player from being a CR for the pitcher and catcher only in the inning, not the entire game as other sanctions. But it really behooves coaches to know which rules they are playing under and be up to speed on those rules. I still won't waste time talking about them at the plate conference.

May 6, 2015
I really hate this rule. think it should at least be restricted to once there is 2 outs possibly. might change it from a strategy back to a moving the game along mechanism it was intended as (not certain why P needs a CR for timing issues, take off helmet and batting gloves, pickup glove and facemask, get quick drink, presto, ready to pitch). and when using CR, to me, someone in dugout should be responsible at beginning of AB for C or P who will be CR for them if they reach, and tell them to be ready (ie keep helmet on).

DD is a C and a very good base runner (not fastest, but quick, and aggressive), but shes had coaches used to continually CR for her, often with "faster"" girls who were not nearly as aggressive, savvy and/or would not/could not slide when needed.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
5 or 6 sanctions locally?? How does that happen? I can't even name 5 or 6 sanctions in my state, let alone locally.

It is Florida. There is a LOT of softball.

Travel: USSSA (plus USA Elite), NSA, USA, PGF, USFA, Fastpitch Orlando all fill up their tourneys most weekends.

And I may be missing some in the panhandle where they cross over to the next state or further north where teams go over to Georgia regularly one week and head to center of the state the following week.

Plus whatever random stuff they decide on for showcases; so some TCS, Softball Factory, whatever D9 is using these days, blah, blah, blah

Plus all the rec leagues and of course NFHS (with FHSAA allowed changes)

Plus some other random stuff that occasionally just turns up because Florida.

Aug 30, 2015
Are we sure CR was only designed to keep the game moving?

Seems to make sense that the battery is entitled to more rest and less chance of injury on the base paths.

May 29, 2015
I’ll say the same thing I told the coach who was complaining that I wouldn’t bend the rules and her pitcher and catcher were so tired when they only had nine players with no courtesy runners available for a tournament: Coach, you need to get them in better shape. They have to play like everybody else.

Rules are written to be equitable and make the game fair (not saying that is always successful though), not to provide an advantage to one team or the other.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Are we sure CR was only designed to keep the game moving?

Seems to make sense that the battery is entitled to more rest and less chance of injury on the base paths.

The first time I ever heard of a CR was in HS baseball in the late 60's. The reasoning was to give the catcher time to gear up and the pitcher time to get to the warm-up pitches in a timely fashion.

So yes, originally it was initiated to keep the game moving along

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I personally feel it's dumb to allow for a CR for the pitcher. It's not as if she really needs extra time to get ready for the next half-inning on defense. The catcher so that she can get her gear on quicker, yeah, that makes sense. But what does the pitcher need to do? If it's that important that she can't run the bases, then use the DP/Flex and make the pitcher your Flex. But if she's skilled enough to be your pitcher and can get on base regularly, then she should be athletic enough to run the bases, get into the dugout when the inning is over, grab her glove and face mask, and get out onto the circle quickly enough to get her five warm-ups. Geez...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Digging up an old thread for a clarification I have not been able to find...

If Sally is used as the CR for the P in the first inning, is Sally tied to the P for the entire game, or can Sally be used as a CR for the C in a later inning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812