NFHS Courtesy Runner Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
Hoping some of our friends in blue can give me a quick primer on the NF Courtesy Runner rule. I know that it has to be unique players to run for the pitcher and the catcher (can't run for both). Here are my questions:

If I change catchers, does the courtesy runner remain the same?

If I enter the courtesy runner into the game, can I use another bench player as a courtesy runner at that point?

Thanks.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Hoping some of our friends in blue can give me a quick primer on the NF Courtesy Runner rule. I know that it has to be unique players to run for the pitcher and the catcher (can't run for both). Here are my questions:

If I change catchers, does the courtesy runner remain the same?

If I enter the courtesy runner into the game, can I use another bench player as a courtesy runner at that point?

Thanks.

Courtesy runners are tied to the position, not the specific player. So if CR Carol runs for Pitcher Patsy, and then Patsy changes to be the catcher, Carol cannot remain Patsy’s CR. Carol can only CR for the next catcher.

And, Yes, as long as you have a player on the bench who hasn’t played in the game, that player can serve as a CR, even if another player previously served as a CR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
@CHSUmp97 has it except for his typo ... ;)

Something else to note: your pitcher and catcher are defined as the last players to play that position (or, in the first inning they are the ones listed on the line up card in those spots).

If you bring in a substitute to bat for your catcher, you cannot use a courtesy runner for the substitute.

And now for my rant ... :)

Courtesy runners are provided to speed up the game. The purpose is so your catcher can go get her gear on and your pitcher can start loosening up. If you are going to use courtesy runners, please have the courtesy of 1) knowing who it will be, 2) having her ready to go, and 3) having the pitcher/catcher ready before you go on defense.

Personally, I am in favor of eliminating courtesy runners because they are doing nothing but slowing the game down as coaches suddenly realize the pitcher/catcher just got on base, ask for time, examine their line up card, call out a name, change their mind, call out another name; then the girl from the far end of the bench (or the concession stand line) tries to find her helmet and climb past her teammates ... while the pitcher/catcher is standing on base waiting ... Then, when the inning ends, the catcher is just starting to put her gear on and the pitcher is busy trying to find her fielder’s mask ...

No. Just no.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I agree, the courtesy has not helped speed up the game as intended. The Man In Blue pretty well hit the nail right on the dad with what happens to get the courtesy runner in the game.
What is worse is when the HS doesn’t know the rules starts asking who can be the courtesy? Can they run for the pitcher And the catcher? Can I put them in the game as a sub? And the list goes on.....The classic is they use the same runner for both positions and the defensive team never catches it, or the umpires doesn’t either.
And while I am on this rant, how about the coaches requesting time out to enter the courtesy runner, instead if hollering from the dugout “ hey blue can I have a courtesy runner for my pitcher? then you have to get them to tell you who it is, again making the game longer.

Feb 12, 2014
Totally agree with you guys about the ways that it can slow a game down. That's why I want to be sure on the rule before trying to implement it as a first year head coach this spring. The one thing I will say is that it has the unintended benefit of allowing the coach to get a couple more kids into a game which is nice. But, it needs to be done and understood correctly by the coaches.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
As a coach, I love the courtesy runner rule because it helps me get players into the game. I will CR run over 90% of the time. And because we do it this much, we are probably better prepared than other teams in terms of making it happen quickly. Most teams seem to take forever to get a girl out there.

As an umpire I hate it. It is different in every sanction, some tourneys make their own rules up, in a couple of the sanctions the rule is poorly written and while I hate to say it, many umpires sometimes just go ahead and make their own rule up rather than checking with the UIC before going out there to do a game. Nothing worse than enforcing the rule properly for the tournament to be told by the coach that "Last game umpire let us do X".

It is one area as an umpire and a coach I ALWAYS get covered at the plate meeting - "This is the CR rule. Do you understand? Coach, if you are not sure you are putting the right runner out there, let's talk before you do because if you get it wrong, it is an out." Which in practice sometimes wastes more time than will ever be saved.

May 6, 2015
It is one area as an umpire and a coach I ALWAYS get covered at the plate meeting - "This is the CR rule. Do you understand? Coach, if you are not sure you are putting the right runner out there, let's talk before you do because if you get it wrong, it is an out." Which in practice sometimes wastes more time than will ever be saved.

having outs due to wrong player being CR might speed up game ;)

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Your covering the CR rule at the plate meeting is also a waste of time, to be perfectly frank. Plate meetings are not meant to be sessions where umpires cover rules. Only cover anything particular of that game that is different than the standard rules, such as a time limit, run limit, etc. We should never spend any time asking head coaches if they understand the rules on courtesy runners, DP/Flex, illegal pitches, etc. The rules mention what should be covered at the plate meeting, and it's usually nothing more than introducing yourselves, accepting the lineup cards, going over ground rules, mentioning the special rules for the game if applicable, and sending the coaches back to their dugouts.

If there is an issue during the game regarding a CR, just deal with it in an expeditious manner. Don't conduct a drawn-out rules clinic. If the coach tries to do something that violates the rule, just tell them something like, "Coach, you can't do that. She's already been in the game," or "She can't run for the catcher since she ran for the pitcher earlier." But honestly, in my experience, most coaches I deal with understand the CR rule enough that they don't screw it up.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Only cover anything particular of that game that is different than the standard rules, such as a time limit, run limit, etc.

I consider Courtesy Runner in this since there are 5 or 6 sanctions locally all with somewhat different CR rules and teams go between them regularly.

But honestly, in my experience, most coaches I deal with understand the CR rule enough that they don't screw it up.

I don't know about most...

Either way, when some coach does screw it up because they are using last week's rule from sanction X and I have to call a CR out, that was avoidable. I also don't want to be in a position when I catch it for one team, but then miss it for the other and have to call a CR out.

USSSA right now is 'last completed at-bat' and since it not my job to keep the book I can easily miss them putting the wrong player out there. Rather just cover it at the plate and then if something happens we have the "We covered this specifically at the plate meeting" answer for a coach.