Newest Game Footage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
11 Year Old DD behind the dish. Like always...some good and some bad. They placed 2nd this weekend. Ran out of space on the memory card and missed a couple of really exciting plays at the plate on Sunday :mad: One where she made a lunging one armed tag to get a girl, a game ending 5-2-3 double play, and then another one where she tagged the girl high and she slid underneath and was safe (lesson learned on that one...I GUARANTEE...she heard about that from her coach).

Nonetheless, check it out. If you knew her attitude off the field, the way she plays makes perfect sense (very sassy and ultra competitive). Hope everyone's summer is going well so far. Off this weekend and then we go to Panama City. GOT TO GET A BIGGER MEMORY CARD FOR THE CAMERA.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGektySjFiSG92NXc/edit?usp=sharing

Josh

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Certainly, she is developing as a very effective catcher. :)

My only nit-pick is her throwing hand. In blocking situations, her hand has to move from behind her back to behind the mitt, as the mitt goes to the ground (sometimes it doesn't even get there). This is a lot of travel through unprotected space, and leaves her hand vulnerable to damage. Starting the throwing hand behind the mitt in a runners-on/blocking situation means the throwing hand can move to the ground along with the mitt and stay protected. Also, I prefer the throwing hand to be kept in a fist with the thumb inside the fingers.

May 1, 2011
Eric - Thank you. She is working at it. I know I've mentioned it before, but my loving wife will not let me put her hand behind the mitt. Stubborn isn't even the word for it. I noticed your Avatar has that girls' hand behind her as well. Is that an older picture, or is she bringing the hand out and putting it behind the mitt as the ball travels? Making the fist is something that I should've already taught her, but it has slipped my mind after everyone on here has mentioned it. That will be something we work on tomorrow for sure. Everything has really taken a backseat to the blocking and getting her body in the right position to throw. Of course, as previously mentioned with the "some good and some bad," she's not always on point with it, but for the most part, I would say that for her age, she's above average. Saw some 13 year old catchers this weekend that were EXCEPTIONAL at framing. DD really took it to heart watching one girl continuously stick it out front beautifully and she instantly started working on it in the next game (that IS in the video).

The one thing that is bothering me is her coaches unwillingness to let her set up (inside/outside) as the ball travels. They want her to give a sign, and then immediately move to that spot and park there. I've tried to get them to see the benefit in her NOT being stagnant behind the plate, but they are not wanting the pitchers to see a moving target. Any thoughts on this?

Josh

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Eric - Thank you. She is working at it. I know I've mentioned it before, but my loving wife will not let me put her hand behind the mitt. Stubborn isn't even the word for it. I noticed your Avatar has that girls' hand behind her as well. Is that an older picture, or is she bringing the hand out and putting it behind the mitt as the ball travels? Making the fist is something that I should've already taught her, but it has slipped my mind after everyone on here has mentioned it. That will be something we work on tomorrow for sure. Everything has really taken a backseat to the blocking and getting her body in the right position to throw. Of course, as previously mentioned with the "some good and some bad," she's not always on point with it, but for the most part, I would say that for her age, she's above average. Saw some 13 year old catchers this weekend that were EXCEPTIONAL at framing. DD really took it to heart watching one girl continuously stick it out front beautifully and she instantly started working on it in the next game (that IS in the video).

The one thing that is bothering me is her coaches unwillingness to let her set up (inside/outside) as the ball travels. They want her to give a sign, and then immediately move to that spot and park there. I've tried to get them to see the benefit in her NOT being stagnant behind the plate, but they are not wanting the pitchers to see a moving target. Any thoughts on this?

Josh

Josh,

She looks very good and confident for an 11 year old! As Eric noted and as mentioned before, the throwing hand is a big issue IMO. Your wife may be adamant and stubborn, but slow motion video doesn't lie - the hand is exposed far more than it would be if she used NECC technique (which, knock on wood, has kept my DD's hand safe now thru college yr #2).

I could see that she is working hard on framing; however, she is "pulling" pitches - if she moves the glove after she catches the ball, its a sign to the umpire that she thought it needed help to be called a strike. The key is for her to try to beat the ball to the spot with her body and glove and stick it where she catches it.

Lastly, I agree with you re setting up too early and giving away location. Sounds like her coach needs to be loaned a copy of the NECC DVD. Maybe he would be OK w/ moving after the pitcher starts her motion (but hasn't released the ball). If that's not OK w/ him I would have her not pound the glove (and give an audible indicator of location) after she's set up in target position.

Stick w/ the NECC training and she will be a full-fledged catching monster.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I noticed your Avatar has that girls' hand behind her as well. Is that an older picture, or is she bringing the hand out and putting it behind the mitt as the ball travels?

My avatar pic is my 9yo DD from a recent tournament, and she is in a "no runners" situation. Here's a larger view...
DSC06921-2_zps3451e5c2.jpg

For "no runners", the hand stays low and hidden behind the leg. In a blocking situation (2 strikes or runners on base), we use a higher stance (thighs parallel with the ground), and the throwing hand (fist) hides behind the mitt. If the pitch is being caught, the fist comes back to the chest - in the "shadow" of the mitt - as the pitch is being received. If blocking, the throwing hand stays behind the mitt as it travels downward.

May 1, 2011
Which answers my question. Thanks a bunch on that one. BTW...totally lovin' the quote. My brother-in-law and I are always spouting off quotes from that movie. DD doesn't get it. I told her she could watch it when she's 18. "I wouldn't dig in there if I were you." GETS ME EVERY TIME!!!!

Josh

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Which answers my question. Thanks a bunch on that one. BTW...totally lovin' the quote. My brother-in-law and I are always spouting off quotes from that movie. DD doesn't get it. I told her she could watch it when she's 18. "I wouldn't dig in there if I were you." GETS ME EVERY TIME!!!!

Josh

Glad to help! :)

"Throw it at the bull."

You need to have the wife watch this short video on catchers setting up. It is the same thing NECC teaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltRscWh6-Tw

That's how it's done!

The fist behind the mitt setup makes a lot of people nervous until they understand the logic and process behind it. Part of the equation, however, is getting the catcher to practice the proper movements until they are automatic - fist behind mitt on a block, fist to chest on a catch.

EDIT: Fixed, as noted by g_g below.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA