New to IR - Pitches are coming in low and inside.. Need some insight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
My DD has been working on IR for about two months now.

Overall doing well and slowly progressing. Velocity is fine, but ball location is iffy at best.

Before switching to IR, her only problem was a lot of balls sailing high, but they were always straight.

Now, she is having issues with a majority of pitches sailing to the right, or inside on a RH hitter.

Also, her balls are very low, many times on the ground.

My only guess as to what may be causing the low balls is her arm being too straight at the release? One other thing I've noticed with her is a lean forward on her stride which would also lead to a lower release point.

As far as the ball going inside on a RH hitter, I'm thinking this is due to her releasing the ball prior to the actual rotation of the shoulder.

Any thoughts?
The other issue I see is girls leaning forward and trying to guide the ball to the plate. Gotta stand tall chest out and keep the throwing arm tight to the body. “Let it fly”. Sometimes the arm flies out away from the body and that will cause accuracy issues.

Apr 28, 2019
I don’t believe this to be the case. Depends on what pitch your throwing.
For instance if your throwing a curve you go across your body to release. A drop you “screw the jar” open/closed pushing down towards the ground.
You can either adjust your stride length or adjust your release point to throw to a certain spot height wise. Yes you want to give the illusion every pitch is coming from the same motion and the same release point but it’s not. If that was the case every pitch would hit the same spot. You don’t want to hit the same spot every time you would get shelled. It’s the different arm/hand angles and release points that give the balls their desired spins. This leads to location accuracy.
To throw inside/outside you can move over on the pitching plate and/or step more in the direction your trying to hit.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What kind of spin is she throwing? If it's bulletspin it might mean that her hand is 'open' at release and the ball slips off the fingers low and inside. In other words her hand is not behind the ball at release but facing more towards 3rd base.

Sep 29, 2014
As we all just throw spaghetti on the wall and see if something sticks.

True there are common things to the pitching motion that will lead to certain things but honestly without video I got nothing.......

One quesiton that would interest me though is this a pitch that has a tail in other words starts as a strike then moves down and low or is it just straight into the dirt at the plate.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I don’t believe this to be the case. Depends on what pitch your throwing.
For instance if your throwing a curve you go across your body to release. A drop you “screw the jar” open/closed pushing down towards the ground.
You can either adjust your stride length or adjust your release point to throw to a certain spot height wise. Yes you want to give the illusion every pitch is coming from the same motion and the same release point but it’s not. If that was the case every pitch would hit the same spot. You don’t want to hit the same spot every time you would get shelled. It’s the different arm/hand angles and release points that give the balls their desired spins. This leads to location accuracy.
To throw inside/outside you can move over on the pitching plate and/or step more in the direction your trying to hit.

(Added--it's been a while since I looked closely at this one and it doesn't show the hand as clearly as I thought...)

Please take some time to watch this video of Osterman warming up her curve, drop, rise and change. I don't recall which order she warms each up, but as you go through it should become evident. Pause around 8 o'clock and use the comma and period keys on your keyboard to watch the release and follow through:

Last edited:
May 9, 2019
As we all just throw spaghetti on the wall and see if something sticks.

True there are common things to the pitching motion that will lead to certain things but honestly without video I got nothing.......

One quesiton that would interest me though is this a pitch that has a tail in other words starts as a strike then moves down and low or is it just straight into the dirt at the plate.
These are just straight.. No movement

May 9, 2019
I see this a lot with new to IR kids... Im betting shes missing forearm brush across her thigh... video her and see if there's a 4" gap between her arm and leg! I'll bet you a dollar there is! Gotta stay tight to the body. Upper arm is tight to the ribs, and the lower arm must brush past the outer thigh.

Coach James I owe u that dollar.
Forearm definitely missing the thigh after seeing her throw into a net.

Any tips how to correct?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying