New to IR - Pitches are coming in low and inside.. Need some insight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Don't focus on bringing the arm to the body. Rather, bring the body to the arm.

Problems with brush, or rather lack of brush, are related to posture. Fix the posture, you fix the brush.

In other words, a pitcher won't move their arm away to avoid their body....they will move their body out of the way to avoid the arm.

So....bring the body to the arm.

Sep 3, 2015
By releasing a little sooner or a little later. It’s a tiny difference but it’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
High/low is based on posture, i.e. back hip up a little is low, back hip down is high.

Release point is the same

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

May 9, 2019
Don't focus on bringing the arm to the body. Rather, bring the body to the arm.

Problems with brush, or rather lack of brush, are related to posture. Fix the posture, you fix the brush.

In other words, a pitcher won't move their arm away to avoid their body....they will move their body out of the way to avoid the arm.

So....bring the body to the arm.

What type of posture issues would cause the body to not meet the arm?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Lots of great answers here, when my DD gets out of sorts and starts throwing low and inside, it's ALWAYS one of two things! She's either throwing her front shoulder out or she's chicken winging her elbow and not staying tucked (brush) as coach james said.

My DD has really good mechanics, but she's fought those two issues forever it seems! I think (no I'm sure) it started from improper mechanics being taught at a very young age. For me........if I were to start teaching and developing a young (10yo) pitcher, of course IR would be THE only method taught, and we all know of 20+ other things that need to happen correctly.

But at that age, I would strongly STRESS........

IR of course.
Strong front side resistance.
Brush.
Keeping that front shoulder in.
Preach the Power line.
Explode off of the rubber.
Staying back, not leaning in.

And at 10, I'd just work on location and spotting up her FB, a drop ball, and a change up. That's all she'd need to keep teams off balance, and a good pitch calling coach!

I'm NOT a pitching coach, but in my 7 years on a bucket, teaching these things to a young pitcher will carry her far!

May 9, 2019
Lots of great answers here, when my DD gets out of sorts and starts throwing low and inside, it's ALWAYS one of two things! She's either throwing her front shoulder out or she's chicken winging her elbow and not staying tucked (brush) as coach james said.

My DD has really good mechanics, but she's fought those two issues forever it seems! I think (no I'm sure) it started from improper mechanics being taught at a very young age. For me........if I were to start teaching and developing a young (10yo) pitcher, of course IR would be THE only method taught, and we all know of 20+ other things that need to happen correctly.

But at that age, I would strongly STRESS........

IR of course.
Strong front side resistance.
Brush.
Keeping that front shoulder in.
Preach the Power line.
Explode off of the rubber.
Staying back, not leaning in.

And at 10, I'd just work on location and spotting up her FB, a drop ball, and a change up. That's all she'd need to keep teams off balance, and a good pitch calling coach!

I'm NOT a pitching coach, but in my 7 years on a bucket, teaching these things to a young pitcher will carry her far!

A drop ball at age 10.. I'm not sure if my DD generates enough velocity to even consider that type of pitch yet... although she's not 10 quite yet.

Apr 12, 2015
A drop ball at age 10

If she is throwing with proper mechanics and using brush and whip, she will basically be throwing a peel drop. The adjustment to a true drop from a pure IR throw is extremely minor.

She might not have the velocity or RPS to make it move, and from 35 feet any movement is going to be minor. But she'll have the foundation.

Sep 3, 2015
DDs dropball is her "fastball", so if your DD can get that 12-6 rotation on the ball consistently then that's a very good thing, no matter what speed. Pretty soon that thing will fall off the table.

You need the brush contact for release, and the front side resistance to make it all come together. That sudden stop is key.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Coach James I owe u that dollar.
Forearm definitely missing the thigh after seeing her throw into a net.

Any tips how to correct?
I really need to see a video from several angles, but stability and posture are key in achieving brush. Is she over-rotational through release? (I'd bet so...) Or is her body very stacked, firmed up, and solid when the ball transitions through IR (9:00 - 6:00)

May 9, 2019
I really need to see a video from several angles, but stability and posture are key in achieving brush. Is she over-rotational through release? (I'd bet so...) Or is her body very stacked, firmed up, and solid when the ball transitions through IR (9:00 - 6:00)

I'm trying to have her stay tall through the pitch. I think she's actually under-rotational as the ball usually goes right (facing the catcher)

Her body is usually not stacked, that's what I want to achieve by standing tall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom