New to IR - Pitches are coming in low and inside.. Need some insight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
My DD has been working on IR for about two months now.

Overall doing well and slowly progressing. Velocity is fine, but ball location is iffy at best.

Before switching to IR, her only problem was a lot of balls sailing high, but they were always straight.

Now, she is having issues with a majority of pitches sailing to the right, or inside on a RH hitter.

Also, her balls are very low, many times on the ground.

My only guess as to what may be causing the low balls is her arm being too straight at the release? One other thing I've noticed with her is a lean forward on her stride which would also lead to a lower release point.

As far as the ball going inside on a RH hitter, I'm thinking this is due to her releasing the ball prior to the actual rotation of the shoulder.

Any thoughts?

Apr 28, 2019
My DD has been working on IR for about two months now.

Overall doing well and slowly progressing. Velocity is fine, but ball location is iffy at best.

Before switching to IR, her only problem was a lot of balls sailing high, but they were always straight.

Now, she is having issues with a majority of pitches sailing to the right, or inside on a RH hitter.

Also, her balls are very low, many times on the ground.

My only guess as to what may be causing the low balls is her arm being too straight at the release? One other thing I've noticed with her is a lean forward on her stride which would also lead to a lower release point.

As far as the ball going inside on a RH hitter, I'm thinking this is due to her releasing the ball prior to the actual rotation of the shoulder.

Any thoughts?
Step straight throw straight, if the ball is high lengthen stride and release quicker, if the ball is low shorten stride and release later. Basic mantra I tell my two pitchers. Pitcher needs to understand why the ball is going where it is and how to correct it.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I see this a lot with new to IR kids... Im betting shes missing forearm brush across her thigh... video her and see if there's a 4" gap between her arm and leg! I'll bet you a dollar there is! Gotta stay tight to the body. Upper arm is tight to the ribs, and the lower arm must brush past the outer thigh.

May 9, 2019
I see this a lot with new to IR kids... Im betting shes missing forearm brush across her thigh... video her and see if there's a 4" gap between her arm and leg! I'll bet you a dollar there is! Gotta stay tight to the body. Upper arm is tight to the ribs, and the lower arm must brush past the outer thigh.

I have a feeling you are correct on this. I'll take some videos today and check. Thanks!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Without video, it’s difficult to guess.

Consider finding ways to avoid the distraction of control. Focus on form and let control happen.

It’s best to start up close whip quarter or half whips. It’s also helpful to remove the distraction of control by explaining that the person they’re throwing to is a fetcher, not a catcher. Have several balls on hand to avoid chasing.

Throwing into a net or tarp with a bucket of balls can also help eliminate the distraction of control.

The key is to build form with successful reps. No more than two bad reps before changing something to get good reps: distance and effort usually, but dry reps are also very good. 10 or so perfect reps without a ball, then throw with a ball as long as she maintains whip with good posture.

Eyes closed is another great way to visualize and feel what’s going on.

Use a phone with slow motion video to double check. Sometimes it feels right, but the video shows otherwise. Also, try to get video of her demonstrating improved form in games. Use a signal to communicate when she want to do this. No runners on is a good time!

Increase effort and distance only as she can maintain good reps. If not, change something to get good reps.

Practice and persistence. It’s always a struggle in season, but worth the effort in the long run.

Posture, whip and drive. With good form, speed is a natural byproduct. Control comes from practicing good form. With whip, good posture and the resulting forearm brush: speed, spots and spins are MUCH easier to achieve and MUCH more efficient.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The body learns to make adjustments. These adjustments are almost imperceptible. Slight change in torso angle. Once a kid is solid with form, you can start working on spots.

For kids struggling high, low, inside or outside. I have them compensate by throwing to a target opposite of where they’re missing.

In your case, I’d focus on form and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom