new pc and curve balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Thanks to al that have responded. We will definitely concentrate on that release.

The question was is her pam up or down. Always down! If i was tring to teach her a curve ball id be happy. She is getting spin and movement. She mixes in the proper spin on the fastball at a rate of 2 out of 5 maybe.

I will know what to look for after reading this and also how to get her to do it. I already had a real good idea these examples have just reinforced what i need to do.

Thanks!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't technically mean palm down, it might be better to think about which way the fingers are pointed at release. When curve spin is imparted the fingers are going around the outside of the ball, they can be pointed up (classic curve, palm up) or pointed down (drop curve). The drop curve can still be thrown pretty hard and it's effective against lefthanders when targeted down and in.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
The palm down curve is not a good idea, either as a mistake or on purpose. Another time warp pitch. If the follow through on the palm down is brought to high, then you get impingement in the shoulder, like the guy states on the kinetic video. So what happens is the kids get their elbows out or truncate the follow through to release the energy sideways and get more spin, which causes other issues. Curves should only be taught palm up.

In any case the more you obsess over the release and spin the more obsessed the kid gets, and we know thinking about the release is not good for pitching. Let her pitch and get close to 12/6 and let her have fun.

I would say we aren't obsessing, jut making her educated and I don't think theres anything wrong with that. Meanwhile s far as the curve ball goes im not to worried about it, Im starting with the fastball/ peel drop. Im looking for the screwball spin on fastball and I will progress to the peel drop after we get this down.

Anyone have a good idea for change up besides the flip change? She does the flip change nicely but she stiffens her arm big time. I just don't want to get into the same bad mechanics as before, She is progressing with her arm circle nicely as far as a slightly bent elbow goes. I have slo mo of her hand now and I think the problem was she was turning her hand over like a curve instead of releasing a bit earlier. If she releases slightly earlier then I believe its problem solved. ( as far as the curve ball spin problem goes )

Java

The posture is much better and believe it or not she is throwing considerably harder now as a result.( the slo motion 3/4 drills seemed to get her to grasp what her body and feet were doing, we drilled that repeatedly followed by some real time pitches ) Meaning 2 -3 mph faster!
Thanks for that!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd