New NFS time between inning rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
It is because some officials at some times are letting some rules go unobserved that they become points of emphasis (hence the emphasis on these points). In addition, frankly, it isn't a stopwatch on the game itself but on the folderol between innings, i.e. the non-playing time. I agree that rules not being applied evenly at all times is an issue, but does that mean we refuse to ever try to tighten up on them in the future?

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Question,
The WIAA ( Wisconsin’s sports body) has implemented a new NFS rule stating that teams only have one minute between innings to be ready for the next.

What is the reasoning behind this rule (Games move right along in about an hour and a half)? And who brought this “Issue” to light?

We are loosing coaching time between innings and that hurts the players.
This is not a new rule. It's been the rule in HS softball since at least 1999 when I started umpiring. They did make it a Point of Emphasis.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
I’m not seeing that much folderol (Great word had to look it up😀) in high scroll games. No talking to parents, looking for water or discussing Tik Tok. I can see it at the lower levels but not the level we play at.
It is because some officials at some times are letting some rules go unobserved that they become points of emphasis (hence the emphasis on these points). In addition, frankly, it isn't a stopwatch on the game itself but on the folderol between innings, i.e. the non-playing time. I agree that rules not being applied evenly at all times is an issue, but does that mean we refuse to ever try to tighten up on them in the future?

May 13, 2021
Because you let them dawdle, its 3 minutes, sometimes 4 minutes in-between half innings. Of the top of my head that is 12 to 18 minutes more a game.

The game is supposed to be 7 innings. There are no commercials during a high school softball game, there is homework to get done after the game.

The game I did today took 89 minutes for a 4.5 inning run limit game.
More than likely the only ones worried about how long the game took was the umpires.

Aug 5, 2022
I only see this as a problem when the pitcher and catcher are base runners. I’ve always thought 5 pitches between innings was ridiculous anyway. I’m the summer ours usually only take 1 maybe 2 if the first one is nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
I love the rule. Maybe it should be slightly longer or put a stipulation that if the P or C was up or on base you get a little extra time but I hate all the meetings every inning prior to taking the field.

Jan 22, 2011
More than likely the only ones worried about how long the game took was the umpires.

NFCA guidelines are an umpire should be there 45 minutes before game start to discuss pre-game items with their partner and to inspect the field.

There is a desperate need for umpires. I am missing my DD's game today to umpire a rain out reschedule High School game, as most schools in my area have lost 3-5 games to rainouts in the past two weeks.

I can send you resources on how to become an umpire.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
...Since I do not know WHICH game the evaluator is at, I am enforcing all rules within the spirit of the game at all times...
Do these evaluators wear any official-type clothing? If I scout other teams maybe I could disguise myself as an umpire evaluator.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
NFCA guidelines are an umpire should be there 45 minutes before game start to discuss pre-game items with their partner and to inspect the field.

I've been coaching since 2016. I can't think of a single time an umpire showed up 45 minutes early unless he thought the game time was earlier than it was or the visiting team had transportation issues and showed up late.

Many if not most of them walk up 5-10 minutes before the game, barking about how games' in x minutes blah blah like we've been making him wait around.

As for this rule: I think it's reasonable to expect the offensive team to get on the field and be ready within a minute, except most defensive teams take a good 45-60 seconds just to get off the field. Penalizing the team going out (and that is who gets penalized by not getting any warmup time) because the team coming in doesn't move quickly is ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi