How do you interpret this rule about tie breaker?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2019
Rec leagues are one thing. State and National tournaments another. But for every other tournament I've done, which have been USA, USSSA, PONY & PGF, they've got really tight start times. And in every case I can remember, ITB starts after the time limit (no new inning starting after) or 7 innings, whichever comes first. Playing past 7 innings just because the time limit hasn't been reached seems to be a true waste of time.

Speaking of tight scheduling in most tournaments, the PGF qualifier we did had start times every 1 hour 40 minutes. When I saw the rules, I asked our assigners, "How the hell can you have "first pitch" start times 1:40 apart when you're playing 1:45, finish the inning, AND - because its double elimination - you have to have a winner, so ITB?"

Sometimes, tournament directors are a trip.

May 29, 2015
... and the clueless TD looked at you and said “Teams are told they need to be ready 30 minutes before their game time.”

May 20, 2018
Rec leagues are one thing. State and National tournaments another. But for every other tournament I've done, which have been USA, USSSA, PONY & PGF, they've got really tight start times. And in every case I can remember, ITB starts after the time limit (no new inning starting after) or 7 innings, whichever comes first. Playing past 7 innings just because the time limit hasn't been reached seems to be a true waste of time.

Speaking of tight scheduling in most tournaments, the PGF qualifier we did had start times every 1 hour 40 minutes. When I saw the rules, I asked our assigners, "How the hell can you have "first pitch" start times 1:40 apart when you're playing 1:45, finish the inning, AND - because its double elimination - you have to have a winner, so ITB?"

Sometimes, tournament directors are a trip.

I didn't feel like it was a waste of time to play to 9 innings without using the tie-breaker - I love a close game and there was no reason to try to rush it closed. We had time and daylight available. I was just curious about how the rule was written for our league and how it is typically applied.

The ITB seems to be treated like the plague around here in rec league. I have seen both coaches agree not to use it during a play off game even after being told by a league official that it was the rule.

Jun 7, 2019
I didn't feel like it was a waste of time to play to 9 innings without using the tie-breaker - I love a close game and there was no reason to try to rush it closed. We had time and daylight available.

Forgive the negative attitude I conveyed in my comment. I too love a close game, one that's played with full intensity where both the kids and fans are all in to it. No reason at all to not play that out to it's full conclusion.

My comment was born out of what has become as much a business as it is a sporting event. Once you hit 12U, but certainly at 14U and older, you'll find that time management is one of the top priorities at tournaments. 1:40, finish the inning (FTI), is usually as long a game that you'll find. Often 1:30, and in USSSA here, 1:20 FTI in pool play. I seldom see 7 innings, with most games ending in the 5th - sometimes the 6th. It sometimes seems like they're just moving the teams through the day.

And wait until you get into the "showcase" tournaments! While some have moved to a playoff format on Sunday, many still just play games. No pool play seedings, no "lose and go home" on Sunday. Just keep playing until the clock stops you (in many cases, it's finish the BATTER). Lots of disinterested players, plenty of disinterested parents. And they pay a fortune to play there. All hoping to be "discovered" by some big time coach who isn't even there. Unless you're lucky enough to get two teams who are looking forward to playing each other, you often get a game that's lacking in passion, with no intensity at all.

So, SquarePeg, enjoy the excitement and the fun of a full game that really means something to all of the people involved while you still can. As a coach, I dearly miss those days. As an umpire, most of these games are truly uninspiring.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018
Forgive the negative attitude I conveyed in my comment. I too love a close game, one that's played with full intensity where both the kids and fans are all in to it. No reason at all to not play that out to it's full conclusion.

My comment was born out of what has become as much a business as it is a sporting event. Once you hit 12U, but certainly at 14U and older, you'll find that time management is one of the top priorities at tournaments. 1:40, finish the inning (FTI), is usually as long a game that you'll find. Often 1:30, and in USSSA here, 1:20 FTI in pool play. I seldom see 7 innings, with most games ending in the 5th - sometimes the 6th. It sometimes seems like they're just moving the teams through the day.

And wait until you get into the "showcase" tournaments! While some have moved to a playoff format on Sunday, many still just play games. No pool play seedings, no "lose and go home" on Sunday. Just keep playing until the clock stops you (in many cases, it's finish the BATTER). Lots of disinterested players, plenty of disinterested parents. And they pay a fortune to play there. All hoping to be "discovered" by some big time coach who isn't even there. Unless you're lucky enough to get two teams who are looking forward to playing each other, you often get a game that's lacking in passion, with no intensity at all.

So, SquarePeg, enjoy the excitement and the fun of a full game that really means something to all of the people involved. As a coach, I dearly miss those days. As an umpire, most of these games are truly uninspiring.

Yes it does seem, from my reading here and from what some of our friends have said about TB, that some of the joy is sucked out of the game with all the traveling and expense and focus on winning and getting recruited. I used to be envious of the parents whose kids were playing TB because from the outside it looks like a blast but now I'm a bit relieved that my DD didn't want to get involved in that when asked.

She is a good 2b and decent hitter but NOT MOTIVATED. She takes hitting lessons and will give 100% in the game but that is it. No interest in putting in any time to improve. Only agreed to the hitting lessons this year because she wants to make the HS varsity team and play with her friends . There are a lot of talented players in her year and just above so it's going to be very competitive. A tiny spark of motivation... I won't get my hopes up for a big change in attitude. I've long been reconciled that she is happy to be on the rec teams and play with her friends and she enjoys it quite a bit but that is as far as it goes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101