new hitting area

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Thats what the DD's are for to pick the balls up for an old guy like me.Straightleg did have what your saying.I believe he had a pvc pipe cut in half at the bottom.Ropes holding the tarp up on the ends and middle.The balls would collect at the bottom in the pvc.I didn't want the ropes in the way of my hitting area.So the picking up of the balls gives the DD a break.

Jun 3, 2010
I patterned ours after straightlegs also, but on my piece of astroturf, I painted a batters box on mine. I taped it off with blue painters tape and used a 3" roller.

May 31, 2009
I'm not sure that setup would catch enough of the balls to make it worth it. I stand behind a 7'x7' pitching screen and try to encourage the kids to hit as many line drives back at the screen as possible. With the screen blocking the cage the balls tend to gather by the screen next to the net. Only the balls hit to the first base side (i'm left handed) or over the screen make it all the way to the back.

I'm used to doing the same thing in the yard and hunting around for all of the balls (the bushes conceal them remarkably well) so just having to pick them up off of the floor doesn't seem like much of any inconvenience.

I was thinking more when the kids were closer to the tarp/net..... hitting balls off tees, soft toss, etc.,

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
DSCN0030.jpg

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

Added some more photos of ceiling
Have a 220v heater and light above hitter and me for winter time

Also added one of the trough and plastic pipes I keep some of my hitting stuff in.

Straightleg

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Whip hit - 1 store bought, 1 homemade
Pvc bats
Other one handed bats
Long bats with weight in the handle
Hand path device
Hammer drill device
Connection device for elbows working together
Stance stick, something i made up
Double stackers
I could go on and on

After all that, small potatoes to what is in Howards garage.

straightleg

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Wow, Straightleg your hitting facility and the amount of hitting aids is very impressive. It is obvious that you have taken your time and have a thought out area to improve a hitter’s ability. As a “Gadget Guy” myself, I am always interested in devices designed to help a player reach their potential. Also, I like the Pine 1x4 beaded ceiling detail that you used. I have a couple of questions that I think that many of the other forum readers would like to know.
1. What is the “Connection device”? I recall a couple of years ago a short video link to someone swinging a device that resemble this. Could you shed some light on how it was made and how it is used? Also, what are its benefits? I think that I’d like to fabricate this device but I need some sort of idea.
2. What are “Double Stackers” and a “Hammer Drill Device”? Could you explain these and give us a detailed picture? Again, I’d be interested in these.
3. Who rides the Unicycle? Is this where you get “Straightleg from?
Thanks for the great photos. D'E

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12