new glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
My 14u dd just switched from a Worth to a Glovesmith Elite 11.5". She's primarily a middle infielder, so she wanted a smaller pocket. This will probably be her last glove we buy. Went the cheap route until this point. She also has a 12" field commander (cheaper Glovesmith) for when she plays OF.

My son has played Nokona and Glovesmith in the past, but prefers his Rawlings gloves.

Nov 27, 2010
I found some great deals (for a lefty) about 60 days ago at justballgloves.com. 12" Wilson A2K ($89) & my lefty pitcher loves it. It is breaking in very quickly and should last her through HS (currently a 9th grader). Similar to the way I treat sunglasses, she understands it's value, so she treats it much better than her previous glove. I was also able to get her a decent Worth Liberty LFPXFB 1B mitt for $59 on the same website. Good luck.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Akadema Manufacturers of Baseball Gloves, Softball Gloves, Baseball Equipment is the only “good” glove DD has ever had so I cannot compare it to other ones but she is really happy with it.

Probably look for an 11.5/12” size.

You might want to wait a few weeks, the sales will start then and there should be some good deals.

Casedawg51 will set your DD with a Vinci if you want. He will answer all your questions/ concerns.

My Dd has used akadema for 8 - 9 years. Rawlings before that

SL

Jun 12, 2012
My daughter turns 10 this week and I bought her an Akadema ABJ74 a little over a year ago. She is a lefty, which makes it hard to find any type of decent glove in stock at stores. I won the Akadema and an A2000 from the bay at a ridiculously low price. The A2000 was way too heavy (12" Zcat) and too big for her hand. She loves the Akadema and it has held up really well. She plays year round and works 4-5 days a week. She has the 12" and uses an 11" ball. Glove is the perfect size. Vinci is a nicer glove and how I will probably go next time if I can find one for her to try on first. At this age the Mizuno MVP is still a good choice but gets worn out after a season or two. The higher end Mizunos are too heavy.

Jul 17, 2012
Is everybody of the opinion that you need to try out gloves and find the one you like?

This is REALLY hard to do. Many of the better gloves are a little harder to break in, and are ridiculously stiff right off the shelf, so It's tough to guage what the glove will become once you break it in. It's better to try teammates gloves that are already broken in. But then again...not all gloves are broken in the same. NEVER put it in the oven..... EVER! Best thing to do is put a ball in it and stick it under the matress whenever it's not in use until you form a nice pocket.

On a side note...anyone ever hear of using Original Barbasol shaving cream to soften and condition the leather? It was recommended when I bought DD's Nokona. Seems to be working great. I keep the can in the basement where she pitches and rub some on it every once in a while.

Aug 9, 2013
On a side note...anyone ever hear of using Original Barbasol shaving cream to soften and condition the leather? It was recommended when I bought DD's Nokona. Seems to be working great. I keep the can in the basement where she pitches and rub some on it every once in a while.
That was how I broke in my gloves as a kid. My dad used to use Mink oil and then went to barbasol later and it worked great.

Jun 21, 2010
I heard about the Babasol, but just used the Nokona glove conditioner. FWIW, DD's Nokona Buckaroo broke in relatively quickly. I've put conditioner on it during winter break. She finally gave the go ahead to send it to Nokona to have them evaluate the padding and laces.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Barbasol helps but, if you can, find a sporting goods store with a glove steamer. DD took in her "game ready" (i.e. flexible as plywood) Glovesmith 1b mitt and the result was pretty miraculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish