New 8 YO student started today

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is in 2nd grade and is new to softball. What fun.
th_DeLaney.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Leaning too much...weight over front side...late release point...hip too closed...stride too short!...no internal rotation....just kidding!!!!!! She is a cutie!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Amy, dont forget that bribery can go a long way in instruction.

"You knock your dad off the back of the bucket, he will buy you an ice cream cone when your done". (Then make sure Dad INTENTIONALLY falls off right before your done). This works great and is fun for the real young ones, not so effective on the 18 year olds, although I would still TRY and bribe them with that too. :)

Nov 29, 2009
Amy, dont forget that bribery can go a long way in instruction.

"You knock your dad off the back of the bucket, he will buy you an ice cream cone when your done". (Then make sure Dad INTENTIONALLY falls off right before your done). This works great and is fun for the real young ones, not so effective on the 18 year olds, although I would still TRY and bribe them with that too. :)

I use that all the time with the young ones. Had a little one throw a pitch that was a little wide once. When mom reached back for it she lost her balance and fell off of the bucket. The little one was just beaming at me jumping up and down with excitement saying she knocked her mom off of the bucket. You can't help but laugh along with the kids.

I like working with the little ones. They keep your mind young. You NEVER know what's going to come out of their mouth. There is no filter and they call it as they see it.

Sometimes you never see it coming. One day after practice I speaking with a mother about a medical issue a girl on my team was having. The younger sister who was about 8 at the time was listening intently to the conversation. Once we were done the little girls asks me if I was a doctor. I told her no, I was not a doctor. She says "That's good. I could never be a doctor." I asked her why. While making a downward slicing motion down her front she says "I could never cut people open and look at their testicles." with all the seriousness an 8 year old could muster. 10 minutes later when I stopped crying from laughing so hard I corrected her and told her the word she was looking for was intestines. She calmly said "Oh... OK..." with a quizzical look on her face and went on to the next thing. It was a funny reminder to me when working with the younger ones you can not assume they know anything, no matter how trivial it is.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The first two questions a dog asks when HE gets to Heaven;

1. Do I get to lay on the couch up here? Or is it the same old story?

2. Do I get my testicles back now?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA