Never in a million years!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Sorry for your negative experience so far. It's sad, but I believe a lot of this crap is a result of poor leadership. The coach should set the tone of a positive and uplifting environment. As far as a teammate "correcting" other players will almost certainly cause problems.
Players build each other up... Coaches correct.
Golden rule. Always

Absolutely right. Occasionally, there is a player who is so good, and is also a positive person, that they can correct other players and not cause a problem. For the other 99.9% it is corrosive and you're going to be unpopular really fast. More often than not, the player doing the "correcting" can barely tie their own shoes. It never ceases to amaze how teenage girls can say things to each other that would have grown men nose-to-nose, or even throwing punches. If the coach doesn't maintain a firm grip, they'll eat each other alive.

Mar 28, 2016
Absolutely right. Occasionally, there is a player who is so good, and is also a positive person, that they can correct other players and not cause a problem. For the other 99.9% it is corrosive and you're going to be unpopular really fast. More often than not, the player doing the "correcting" can barely tie their own shoes. It never ceases to amaze how teenage girls can say things to each other that would have grown men nose-to-nose, or even throwing punches. If the coach doesn't maintain a firm grip, they'll eat each other alive.

And the girls can have a long memory.

My catcher DD told me a story about their # 3 pitcher who used to do the correcting all the time. The SS bobbled a play and the pitcher made some comment about it. A whole week later an opposing player blasted a HR off of this pitcher and when the SS delivered the ball back to the pitcher she made the comment about how she needs to try harder not to groove the pitches down the middle.

Players correcting each other can make for a very cancerous environment.

Feb 16, 2015
South East

That is how the bulling started. The young lady would critique everything my DD did. Told her she throws the ball wrong, that her receiving stance is wrong, she doesn't swing the bat right yada yada yada. Eventually DD told her to go kick rocks and said when you can reach second base in the air or hit a ball over the fence, then come back and talk to me. It has been all downhill ever since and being told that she believes she is to good for the team and so on.

Nov 29, 2009
That is how the bulling started. The young lady would critique everything my DD did. Told her she throws the ball wrong, that her receiving stance is wrong, she doesn't swing the bat right yada yada yada. Eventually DD told her to go kick rocks and said when you can reach second base in the air or hit a ball over the fence, then come back and talk to me. It has been all downhill ever since and being told that she believes she is to good for the team and so on.

Valuable lesson learned. When you know you're getting bad advice. Smile, nod and ignore.

Unfortunately for your DD, she is on a HS team that is suffering from a great majority of the bad HS softball cliche's. Bad coaching, clueless coaching, entitlement-minded teammates, fundamentally weak teammates and a clique. Anyone of them can ruin a team. Put all of them together and you have a diseased team that even the Mayo clinic wouldn't be able to heal.

It all starts with the HC. From your description you have a very bad one.

Good luck to your DD.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

I thought you said your dd gave others advice about how to better play and/or prepare for games.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm laughing out loud about how many locker room fights there would have been on my HS baseball/basketball team if players started to
call out other players, rightly or wrongly. Of course we all knew each other and played pickup/park league/CYO with each other for a while
before HS so everybody knew who the asses were already before HS :p. Plus our coaches got on us so bad already none of us wanted to pile on.

College was actually worse for me regarding this. Part of the problem was the coach, while
knowing his baseball, was/is a huge rear. We went down South freshmen year and he forced
all of the freshmen to try dipping. He thought it was funny when half of us puked. Some other crap
went on too which added to my playing misery.

Anyway, back to the point. If your DD has a problem with somebodies effort level she should
go to the captain(s) privately and mention it to them. That is part of their job
as captains. Of course if the captains are the problem then she's screwed :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
I'm laughing out loud about how many locker room fights there would have been on my HS baseball/basketball team if players started to
call out other players, rightly or wrongly. Of course we all knew each other and played pickup/park league/CYO with each other for a while
before HS so everybody knew who the asses were already before HS :p. Plus our coaches got on us so bad already none of us wanted to pile on.

If your DD has a problem with somebodies effort level she should
go to the captain(s) privately and mention it to them. That is part of their job
as captains.

They don’t have captains on the team.... she doesn’t have a problem with any particular persons effort level, as far as I know. She just hates when some complain about losing or not doing well. She knows the drill that there isn’t a single girl on that team that feels the way she feels about the game and would never single a certain person out about something. I don’t think she would have the guts to do it even if she wanted to. She is a very passive child. Good thing she doesn’t take after her mother because she would have been banned from the team way before now .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez