Neighbor looking for feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2011
I understand falling into the "h" but wouldn't you be able to create more energy by having the stride foot initial the fall with slightly more force? Much like a condensed walk through.

I agree we need Java's take. Maybe someone should create a Java "signal" much like boardmember's. :D

Oct 3, 2009
Just a quick update. After looking at things and taking the feedback she decided to focus on loosening her arm and it added about 1 to 2 mph to each pitch. The two in the video were gunned at drop - 61 and rise - 59. And by working on the arm circle she averaged 62 with the drop and 61 with the rise. Next is focusing more on not falling back as far and keeping tension to drive more into the h as it is described here. All her decisions based on her looking at the videos and feedback here. So keep it coming :)

She does seem to generate very good movement on her pitches.

Jun 9, 2009
Nice movement, as others have said.

I would be a little concerned with hitters picking pitches the way she drops her hand so slowly out of her glove. Her riseball grip looks like it would be pretty readable.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
First off... this girl can flat out throw. Not many go north and south effectively... and she truly gets the mechanics of a good drop ball... reminds me of drc's DD... take a look at how her elbow is in tight to her body on that drop...

This girl has a pretty unique way of overcoming the extreme rearward COG... but in doing so, never maximizes the stretch reflex of overlapping movements. As such... the front of her circle involves too much effort... looks like she's carrying a bowling ball up the front of the circle. IMO, this is a result the upper body generating forward momentum too late. If her body had already established forward momentum... her arm would get up that circle in a much more powerful/efficient manner... as the overlap created would pull that arm into motion.

The pushback is not a stride leg drill in any way shape or form. The only emphasis I want in that drill for that leg... is that it hits a wall. The 2-step is a legal pitch... or should become that... and I do prefer to see the heel sink when performing a full pitch. CoachScott marvelously summed this up in his in-office experimenting... he felt that his rear leg does more work into the pitch... which is really critical... and why I'm such a stickler on full/immediate transfer.

Is it a style? I'd say no. I believe that it is optimal (as does science). As humans, most of us have two legs. It's recommended in pitching. Allowing the rear leg to accept the full load WITH ESTABLISHED FORWARD MOMENTUM... will allow for the pitcher to maximize the contribution the rear leg can offer. So, yes... heel down, stretch... reflex/stride. Watch the video of Yukiko in the pushback video... and note how much her rear foot is working... so much... that you can see dirt flying out rearward from her shoe.

This girl...or any other pitcher... don't have to perform optimal movements in every aspect of the pitch. Question is... what happens if she does?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks Java! It just doesn't seem possible to get your wait totally off the front side if you are trying to keep the back heel off the ground. And even if that cue is meant for when you're leaning forward you still won't be able to create the full stretch/reflex you speak of.

Oct 3, 2009
This girl...or any other pitcher... don't have to perform optimal movements in every aspect of the pitch. Question is... what happens if she does?

Agreed completely. That is exactly why she wanted her video posted is to understand exactly that, what she could optimize. So your entire post is extremely helpful and I know she is already working on eliminating the lean and getting forward momentum going much quicker. And I pointed her toward your drills to help in that process.

On a side note a comment was made in this thread regarding getting too much information or serving multiple masters or something like that. I can tell you this kid is actively looking for different perspectives on what she can do to improve her craft. Her PC actively encourages her to be intellectually curious about pitching and get outside opinions. It is then on her to figure out what works and how to make it work for her.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Andy... don't eliminate the lean forward. Establishing that lean while transferring rearward is pretty key, too. She has a bright future, for sure.

Mar 12, 2009
One more thing I notice and hasn't been mentioned or at least I don't think it has is it looks like her arm crosses over or heads to the left on the way up the circle which puts the ball in front of her face disrupting her arm circle. It may just be camera angle but you may want to look into that. BM has a 3/4 drill that addresses this issue.

Oct 3, 2009
Andy... don't eliminate the lean forward. Establishing that lean while transferring rearward is pretty key, too. She has a bright future, for sure.

I made my point poorly. I meant to say eliminate that initial lean back she has now and actually lean forward as she is transferring back as you say. She immediately understood (better than me!) what she needed to do and why it would likely help her. Once again thank you very much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craig052